Ralph Mellor published a Request For Comments allowing for a new syntax to define constants in the Raku Programming Language. And quite some discussion followed, and some clarifications. In any case, it caused the creation of one new module in the ecosystem: immutable.
Raku DevRoom at FOSDEM
Please don’t forget to check out and attend the presentations at the Raku DevRoom at FOSDEM on Saturday 5 February!
Speed Run 68
Patrick Böker reports on their progress on the Raku CI Bot grant.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer wrote two blog posts this week:
Weekly Challenge #150 is available for your perusal. Another milestone for Mohammad S Anwar. Congratulations!
New Pull Requests
- Fix segfault after capture-replace-literal-arg with different kind
- Tests for nqp::coerce_si
.chompthe possibility to specify a needle
use show-precompilationas a pragma
use named-anywhereas a pragma
Other Core Developments
- Daniel Green fixed a segfault in boolification on MoarVM, added
nqp::decont_uin NQP, and simplified the conversion of strings to integers, which was further secured by Nicholas Clark.
- Vadim Belman fixed some rough edges on their smartmatch as a dispatcher work, and
putfailing on junctions.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed a race-condition when registering repositories.
- And some smaller tweaks and fixes.
Questions about Raku
- Sequences and
forloops by NoSuchKotH.
- Benefits of grammar in Raku over ANTLR/bison? by realfuckingdd.
DECLARE– what are they? by hasrthur.
- Any thoughts out there in using Grammars to parse HTML? by Steve Dondley.
- Replacing YouTube HTML links with embed code by Steve Dondley.
- How can the Raku behavior on capturing group in alternate be the same as Perl by itil memek cantik.
- What correct Raku recursive regex syntax by itil memek cantik.
- How to make a class that inherits the same methods as
IO::Path? by Steve Dondley.
- How do we fill out multi variables individually from corresponding regex captures by itil memek cantik.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Read a 1-wire digital thermometer by Jonathan Stowe.
- Quite tractable by Mark Gardner.
- 30 Plugins by Alexey Melezhik.
- Calling it without by Mohammad S Anwar.
- A challenge by Peter DAO.
- To get some fresh jokes by Zhuowei Zhang.
- Maybe take some time by Alvaro (Blag) Tejada Galindo.
Git::File::Historyby JJ Merelo.
- P++ by zeriyoshi.
- With file snapshots by JJ Merelo.
- Fascinate me even more by Paulo H R Pinheiro.
- Check that k8s pods are running by Alexey Melezhik.
- A couple of results of the formative evaluation by JJ Merelo.
- Intriguing aspects by E7…..
- Design goals of Rajiv by Not Jack.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- Latest Rakudo* by Parrot Raiser.
Comments about Raku
- Raku recognizes more by dragonwriter.
- Going back to APL by agumonkey.
- Built with Raku! by Reini Urban.
- Raku calls it
TOPby Tomasz Wegrzanowski.
- Adding operators and specifying precedence by aghast_nj.
- Best way to compare speeds by mardiyah.
- Plenty of issues with custom operators by till-one.
- Go see Haku by Ralph Mellor.
New Raku modules
- RPi::Device::DS18B20 “Interface to the DS18B20 digital thermometer from Maxim Integrated” by Jonathan Stowe.
- JSON::Fast::Hyper “Read/Write hyperable JSON” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- FontConfig “Raku interface to the FontConfig native library” by David Warring.
- CustomImporting “Import and rename items from modules” by wukgdu.
- immutable “Make data structures immutable” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Git::File::History “Work with the history of a file in a repository” by JJ Merelo.
Updated Raku Modules
- LWP::Simple by JJ Merelo.
- String::Utils, Identity::Utils, Ecosystem::Archive::Update, Map::Match, Ecosystem, ValueList by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- TAP by Leon Timmermans.
- App::Mi6 by Shoichi Kaji.
- PDF::Font::Loader, HarfBuzz, HarfBuzz::Font::FreeType by David Warring.
- Gnome::Gtk3 by Marcel Timmerman.
Blog post wise, another quiet week. But a surprising number of new modules! And an interesting discussion about new syntax. Please continue to stay healthy and safe. Next week there will be another episode of the Rakudo Weekly News!