Jonathan Worthington and the other people at Edument, have been very busy in the past week indeed. Not only did it see a new Comma IDE release (the IDE for Raku), with such new goodies as support for Cro’s Template Language, as well as providing in-IDE documentation for the project, external modules and the Raku built-in functions.
They also released a new version of Cro (0.8.2) (a set of libraries for building reactive distributed systems), fixing some memory leaks, adding support for a
SameSite cookie directive and many other improvements and fixes. Impressive!
Some more video tutorials
Yanzhan Yang just keeps on going! In the past week he published 2 video tutorials about Rosetta Code snippets in Raku:
- Bring out your dead. BONG. Perl 6: I’m not dead! BDFL: BONK. by zengargoyle.
- TPF response to Raku rename by Stuart J Mackintosh (/r/perl comment).
- Redirect on Wikipedia by Deji Adegbite.
Welcome Problem Solvers!
Please welcome Fernando Corrêa de Oliveira and Vadim Belman as additional decision makers in the Problem Solving Repo, the place where the Raku community tries to handle problems that require review, deliberation and possibly debate. Thanks for taking on that responsibility!
Call for Grant Proposals
The Perl Foundation has issued a Call for Grant Proposals (November 2019 Round). So get your Raku proposals in!
More package support
Claudio Ramirez announced rakudo-pkg support for
Fedora 31 and
centos 8. On top of all the other OS versions already supported!
Raku entries for Challenge #32:
- Word Histogram and ASCII Bar Chart by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- The Raku Instance Bar by Arne Sommer.
- Weekly Challenge #32 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
- Weekly Challenge #32 by Javier Luque.
Of course, Challenge #33 is up for your perusal!
Not a lot was going on last week feature wise, while extended multi-platform and ecosystem testing was going on in preparation for the Rakudo Compiler release:
- Timo Paulssen fixed a bug in the interaction between the profiler and
- Daniel Green jitted the
- Elizabeth Mattijsen implemented a
rakumethod that for now is only a placeholder for the
perlmethod. She also made sure that Travis will report Rakudo build failures to the
#raku-devIRC channel (instead of the
- And some smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Make numeric strings interpreted as numeric by con.
- Conditional subexpression replacement using regular expressions by user2023370.
- Expressing the double summation sequence by Lars Malmsteen.
- Problem with raku and SSL on Windows Machine by Wahnburger.
- How can you dynamically generate values for use with traits? by Ben Davies.
- Comma says “test file died” while zef test . passes by JJ Merelo.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- raku.org is live by Roman Baumer.
- Life is short by hythm.
- Seven months of challenge by Mohammad S Anwar.
- docs.raku.org is live by JJ Merelo.
- A prime number by Kang-min Liu.
- Github Actions for Raku by JJ Merelo.
- Renaming p6env? by Shoichi Kaji.
- Most doomed by Scott Martin.
- Also in C++ by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Custom Joins! by Fernando Corrêa de Oliveira.
- Perfect for a Cro app by Simon Proctor.
- Using App::Mi6 by The Perl Shop.
- Renamed to Raku by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- URL changed? by Ichinose Shogo.
- Look at … by 八雲アナグラ.
- Japanese texts? by louiee @ A1c7.6Oct.
- Modern programming languages by BCS Open Source Specialist Group.
- Super weird by .\\ax Pearl.
- Preference by Francisco Valladolid.
- Just like Raku by Charlie Barto.
- Renamed to… by radiot_comments.
- Everybody knows by 八雲アナグラ.
- Deserves an IDE by Peter Kotrčka.
- Calling go from Raku by 八雲アナグラ.
- See the implementation by 八雲アナグラ.
- What to focus on by 八雲アナグラ.
- Seems to work by 八雲アナグラ.
- Modified / Added by fujita nozomu.
- Never adopted widely by Corn Woman 🌽.
- Fiasco by Rob Muhlestein.
- It begins! by yapcjapan.
- A little troubled by perlzemi.
- Difficult to judge by しーちょー🚲.
- Will be a symlink by Yak!.
- Introduction slides by 八雲アナグラ.
- That’s nothing by The Human Centrifuge.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Alas, the Perl 6 Facebook group has still not been renamed back, so deeplinks will break soon. So, if you’re interested in developments there, please navigate from the Perl 6 group homepage.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
Comments about Raku
- Conference split by Andrew Shitov.
- Might be useful by kbenson.
- Taiwanese minister by 7thaccount.
- Long standing problem by kbenson.
- Don’t want to end up there by petre.
- Paradox of the heap by cesarb.
- A distinct sweet spot by Ralph Mellor.
New Raku Modules
- Mux by Tony O’Dell.
Updated Raku Modules
- LibXML, LibXSLT by David Warring.
- License::SPDX by Jonathan Stowe.
- Tomty, Sparrow6 by Alexey Melezhik.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- Math::FFT::Libfftw3 by Fernando Santagata.
- Cro::Core, Cro::TLS, cro, Cro::HTTP, Cro::WebSocket, IO::Socket::Async::SSL by Jonathan Worthington.
- Terminal::Spinners by ryn1x.
It looks like the 2019.10 Rakudo Compiler release will morph into a 2019.11 Rakudo Compiler release of the Raku Programming Language. The final, really final tweaks are being done as this is written. More news about this in the next Rakudo Weekly. See you then!