Timo Paulssen has published an impressive progress report on his work on the performance tooling of Raku on the MoarVM backend, specifically about the user interface of the Heap Snapshotter. This now allows multiple ways to navigate a MoarVM heap snapshot. This should make doing performance work / debugging a lot more fun!
More video tutorials
- “Scrabble Score” & “Luhn”
- “flatten array” & “word count”
- “All Your Base”, “Anagram” & “Robot”
- “Atbash Cipher”, “Space Age” & “Linked List”
- “Acronym” & “Roman Numerals”
And he also started on handling Rosetta Code problems, 4 of them so far:
Way to go!
Next weekend (on 2 November) there will be yet another Squashathon. Do you have a cool Raku project that needs help, and you can provide enough open tickets for potential contributors to work on? Then let Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev know!
London Perl Workshop
- Weekly Challenge Review by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Create and Publish your first module by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Building a Raku Module by Simon Proctor.
- Losing your Perl accent by Lance Wicks.
- Running arbitrary code safely by James Raspass.
- Red – An ORM for Raku by Fernando Corrêa de Oliveira.
The Perl Conference in Houston
A good day
Brian Wisti posted a little blog about it being a good day for books.
- Raku gets its very own subreddit by Dean (/r/perl comments).
- Please use /r/rakulang by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Welcome to /r/rakulang by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Subreddit description and sidebar by Dan Book.
Raku entries for Challenge #31:
- Illegal Division by Zero and Dynamic Variables by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Dynamic Zero by Arne Sommer.
- Weekly Challenge #31 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
- Weekly Challenge #31 by Javier Luque.
- Bart Wiegmans fixed a problem in the JIT expression builder that could cause use of a freed object.
- Vadim Belman fixed an issue in the install process that could occur if an outdated version of MoarVM was found. He also fixed an issue with run-away CORE context on closures.
- Timo Paulssen introduced a new MVM_CONFPROG_DEBUG environment variable.
- Jan-Olof Hendig fixed an issue in the reporting of UTF-8 encoding errors.
- Christian Bartolomäus fixed a copy-pasto in a debug message for the initial timer thread.
- Patrick Böker fixed an issue with CompUnitRepo folders being used outside of the build directory during building.
- And many smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Install Raku in Ubuntu along with Perl 5.26 by vindok89.
- “Could not get Timeline data” when using Timeline Visualization with Comma IDE by JJ Merelo.
- Task logging (apparently) not working in Comma IDE using Log::Timeline by JJ Merelo.
- How to insert variable in user-defined character class? by lisprogtor.
- Incorrect number of parameters passed to subroutine by odbdux.
- Raku IDEs? by louis771.
- Differing output between C++ and NativeCall by Suman Khanal.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Camelia in the wild by JJ Merelo.
- Hopeful by Claudio Ramirez.
- Next GSOC by JJ Merelo.
- Many Screenshots by Timo Paulssen.
- Quality course in software by JJ Merelo.
- Talks at LPW by Simon Proctor.
- Influenced by isomorphismes.
- It’s done by firebreathingduck.
- Write you an expression by Mick Watson.
- Different language by 荒木 宏之.
- First program by Tao Wang Lab UTSW.
- Two different languages by GomoR.
- The mess by Duane Toler.
- Cannibalized by 日本語ワープロ 「嵐雪(仮称)」開発記.
- Big deal by 日本語ワープロ 「嵐雪(仮称)」開発記.
- Decent performance? by astoria*.
- With a Set operator by YKD@虚業家.
- Killing it by Stefan Munich.
- There is no … by Greg Heo.
- No text editor by 厳零改奏.
- Chinese version by louiee @ A1c7.6Oct.
- Incorrect Japanese input by 厳零改奏.
- Garbled characters by 厳零改奏.
- Last year by Mohammad S Anwar.
- What happens when you rename by nikosv.
- Color violence by YKD@虚業家.
- Frightening notation by 厳零改奏.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Alas, the Perl 6 Facebook group has still not been renamed back, so deeplinks will break soon. So, if you’re interested in developments there, please navigate from the Perl 6 group homepage.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- What is lowered away lexical? by Kevin Pye.
Comments about Raku
- Ignore history by dwheeler.
- No meaning in Hebrew by cben.
- Rationals by default by Eric Riese.
- Beautiful Fibonacci by donaldihunter.
- Hilarious headline by NoelGalaga.
- My Perl Wishlist by Christopher White.
- A distinct sweet spot by Ralph Mellor.
New Raku Modules
- DB::Xoos::SQLite by Tony O’Dell.
Updated Raku Modules
- LibXSLT, CSS::Selector::To::XPath by David Warring.
- XML::Actions, Gnome::GObject, Gnome::Gtk3 by Marcel Timmerman.
- ModelDB by Sterling Hanenkamp.
- ORM::ActiveRecord by Greg Donald.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- Algorithm::LibSVM by Itsuki Toyota.
In the past week many people were working on the final tweaks to get the 2019.10 Rakudo Compiler Release out of the door. Alas, it is not yet done, so expect a report about that in the next Rakudo Weekly, the weekly blog about the Raku Programming Language on Rakudo. See you then!