This week saw a new Rakudo compiler release (2022.12 by Justin DeVuyst) with a nice bunch of new features and bug fixes, a new Cro release (mostly to fix a testing issue that would inhibit installation by default) and a new release of the Podlite editor (0.4.0, with markdown block support, /r/rakulang comments). Nice prezzies!
Raku Advent Calendar 2022
The fourth Raku Advent Calendar has started with an introduction by JJ Merelo and the following contributions so far:
- Day 1: SparrowCI pipelines for everything by Alexey Melezhik.
- Day 2: Less Variable Wattage = More Flow by Nigel Hamilton (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 3: Santa and the Rakupod Wranglers by Tom Browder.
- Day 4: Give the gift of time by JJ Merelo.
- Day 5: Malware and Raku by Paula de la Hoz.
Meanwhile, Daniel Sockwell is still looking for a volunteer to write an advent post about the idea: “I’m disappointed by dynamic typing“.
Raku Conference 2023
Andrew Shitov has published tentative dates for the in-person 2023 Raku Conference: 3-4 August 2023 (/r/rakulang comments).
Advent of Code
Daniel Sockwell is telling us that there is a Github repository for 2022 Advent of Code solutions in the Raku Programming Language.
Rainbow Butterfly Award
You can still nominate people for the Rainbow Butterfly Award until the 8th of December. Please consider who you would like to receive the Rainbow Butterly Award 2022 by sending your nomination by email to:
Weekly Challenge #194 is available for your perusal.
New Problem Solving Issues
New Pull Requests
- Altering Online communities section of the community page
- RakuAST origins (provenance)
- Salvador Ortiz fixed an issue that would lose precision of a
FatRatwhen converted to a string.
- Michael Ruigrok further improved the wording on typecheck errors on arrays and hashes.
- Stephan Seifert continued working on the RakuAST branch, implementing a number of simple pragmas and support for
LEAVEphasers. Which brings the number of passing test files to 567/1355 (+14) and 80/131 (+1).
Questions about Raku
- How do I escape these curlies in
Template6? by Kay Rhodes.
- Can we get Raku bindings to Extism? by kapitaali_com.
- How to make a context aware code evaluator like REPL by Immediate-Decision-3.
- How can I compile a raku script to a portable binary exe? by ChatGPT.
- How do I “assign” the value in
CArraythat contains a memory address to a pointer? by ToddAndMargo.
Meanwhile on Mastodon
- All in good fun by Mark Gardner.
- Cascading pipelines by Alexey Melezhik.
- Every feature a
Pairby Adrian Kreher.
- Advent as a feed by The Raku Programming Language.
- A new Cro release! by The Raku Programming Language.
- Has badges! by Alexey Melezhik.
- Pipeline for raku.land by Alexey Melezhik.
- Tentative dates for the Raku Conference 2023 by The Raku Programming Language.
- Sticking with it by Simon Proctor.
- Not my actual solution by Simon Proctor.
- Repo for Raku solutions by Daniel Sockwell.
- Something similar by Daniel Sockwell.
- What did I get wrong? by Daniel Sockwell.
- Testing against multiple versions of Rakudo by Alexey Melezhik.
- Too late for the leaderboard by Simon Proctor.
- Another wee project? by Solomon Foster.
Sets by Simon Proctor.
- Just add
raceto run faster, sometimes by Simon Proctor.
- A lot of fun as well by Profoundly Nerdy.
- Same feeling by Flavio Poletti.
- To move beyond the single line by Simon Proctor.
Meanwhile, still on Twitter
Getopt::Longby Leon Timmermans.
- Everybody stand back by Julia.
- And maybe you! by JJ Merelo.
- Can’t be bothered by ərıc.
- Cro 0.8.9 released! by Cro Services.
- Crappier dice? by Julia.
- Grammaring AI by Not Jack.
- Rakudo 2022.12 released by IT news for all.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
NativeCalland pointers question by ToddAndMargo.
- When to use
.new? by ToddAndMargo.
- Tip: use of pointers example by ToddAndMargo.
- Pointer confusion by ToddAndMargo.
- Re: Session ID by ToddAndMargo.
Comments about Raku
- On representation polymorphism by Ralph Mellor.
- On when it is done by Ralph Mellor.
- You didn’t mention… by Computer Things.
New Raku Modules
- Proc::ZMQed “Provides external evaluators via ZeroMQ” by Anton Antonov.
Updated Raku Modules
- Array::Shaped::Console, Test::Script, Sys::Chown, URI by JJ Merelo.
- Terminal::Table by Loren Zhang.
- Spreadsheet::Libxlsxio, Math::Libgsl::Complex, Math::Libgsl::Polynomial, Math::Libgsl::Function, Math::Libgsl::Permutation, Math::Libgsl::Combination, Math::Libgsl::Multiset, Math::Libgsl::Sort, Math::Libgsl::BLAS, Math::Libgsl::LinearAlgebra, Math::Libgsl::Random, Math::Libgsl::QuasiRandom by Fernando Santagata.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- SparrowCI-SandBox, Sparrow6 by Alexey Melezhik.
- PublicSuffix by JJ Atria.
- App::Rak by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Cro::Core, Cro::TLS, Cro::HTTP, Cro::WebSocket, Cro::WebApp, cro by Jonathan Worthington.
- Data::Reshapers, DSL::English::DataQueryWorkflows, Data::Generators, Mathematica::Serializer by Anton Antonov.
- License::SPDX by Jonathan Stowe.
- Getopt::Long, Getopt::Subcommands by Leon Timmermans.
- LibXML by David Warring.
- Trove by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Kind, Kind::Subset::Parametric by Ben Davies.
So many new things this week! And yet another new name in core development!
This week’s picture is to remind us of sunnier days in these dark days before the winter Solstice! Also to remind us Ukraine is still fighting the Russian aggression. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the meantime, please keep staying safe, keep staying healthy, and keep up the good work!
If you like what I’m doing, committing to a small sponsorship would mean a great deal!