Sometimes good ideas almost fall through the cracks! In September the TPRF suggested the idea of setting up a yearly Rainbow Butterfly Award to be awarded to the person who has done outstanding non-core support for the Raku Community / promotion of the Raku Programming Language (discussed in the Raku Steering Council meeting of 17 September).
Please consider who you would like to receive the Rainbow Butterly Award 2022 by sending your nomination by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org . And if at all possible, add your reasons as to why the nominated person should receive the award! Nominations will be accepted until the 1st of December, after which the Raku Steering Council will deliberately choose and announce the winner.
Thank you, Roman
Roman Baumer, one of the people keeping the Raku infrastructure up and running, has indicated that they do not have the time anymore to properly support the Raku infrastructure. This means that we’re looking for people willing to take care of the day-to-day running, as well be able to support new developments of the Raku infrastructure. Please send an email to
email@example.com if you’re interested!
The FOSDEM organization has announced the developer rooms for the 2023 edition of FOSDEM on 4/5 February 2023 in Brussels. Followed by a Call for Participation. Check out the devrooms and figure out where you could do a presentation of some aspect of the Raku Programming Language that would be of interest of the people in that devroom. You can also claim some financial support by TPRF!
Anton Antonov blogged about their new interface to the DeepL natural language translation server called Lingua::Translation::DeepL.
Elizabeth Mattijsen continued their blogging streak with the first 2 parts of a new series called “A gaze of iterators!”:
- A gaze of iterators! (/r/rakulang comments)
- Pushing the limits
The minutes of the November 12th, 2022 meeting are available.
Weekly Challenge #191 is available for your perusal.
New Problem Solving Issues
- Deprecation of
flatmapis foggy and debatable
- Wanted: new Raku Infrastructure jack-of-all-trades
- Artistic License not a default on Github
- Daniel Green fixed an issue with signedness of arguments to
- Salvador Ortiz optimized some tests during compilation of Raku code.
- Vadim Belman fixed a static optimization issue and a recent regression in handling of the
:2bsyntax with smartmatching in some situations.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen added a
DateTime. And added a
IO::Path.chownmethod, based on Daniel Green‘s work.
- Stefan Seifert was working on the RakuAST branch again, getting all of the NativeCall tests to pass! Tests now at 551/1355 (+2) and 78/131 (+2).
Questions about Raku
- Inconsistent behavior when coercing an
List? by Jim Bollinger.
- Using a default value for a function parameter which depends of other parameter by EZM.
- Where are you in the Rakudo Fediverse? by Salve J. Nilsen.
- Windows ARM version? by Solomon Foster.
template6highlighter? by Kay Rhodes.
- Should Raku be added to this concurrent & parallel programming languages list? by ElusiveLambdas.
Meanwhile on Twitter
For the foreseeable future, yours truly will continue to monitor Twitter.
- Multi-multi by Alexey Melezhik.
- Plenty of devrooms by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- No Japanese translation by を買う.
- Tables with alignment by Kay Rhodes.
Nildetection by Kay Rhodes.
- Out of the windows by Ben Davies.
- Run a script, edit the backtrace by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Raku Go by Alexey Melezhik.
- Not a ruby by Hiroshi SHIBATA.
- Really easy by joker1007.
- Pervasively by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Algorithm hindsight by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Until sunk by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- The future is here by Michael Roach.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- How do I all an interactive command? by ToddAndMargo.
- Exit is going bananas! by ToddAndMargo.
- Anyone code WTSSendMessageA? by ToddAndMargo.
Comments about Raku
- Invented for safety! by krallja.
- Run independently by Nikos Vaggalis.
- Not an aardappel by kragen.
New Raku Modules
- Lingua::Translation::DeepL “Provide access to the language translation service DeepL” by Anton Antonov.
Updated Raku Modules
- Audio::TagLib by Adrian Kreher.
- PublicSuffix by JJ Atria.
- Backtrace::Files, rak, App::Rak, paths, path-utils by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- RakupodObject, Mi6::Helper by Tom Browder.
- Listicles, Prettier::Table by Kay Rhodes.
- Pod::To::PDF::Lite, Pod::To::PDF, LibXML, PDF::Font::Loader by David Warring.
- Markdown::Grammar, Text::CodeProcessing, Grammar::TokenProcessing by Anton Antonov.
- POSIX::PWDENT by Salvador Ortiz.
- Collection, Collection-Plugins by Richard Hainsworth.
- Intl::CLDR by Matthew Stuckwisch.
A bit of a quiet week again, while plenty going on in the rest of the world.
This week’s picture shows nature at work again! To remind us Ukraine is still fighting the Russian aggression. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the meantime, please keep staying safe, keep staying healthy, and keep up the good work!
If you like what I’m doing, committing to a small sponsorship would mean a great deal!