Justin DeVuyst has released the next Rakudo Compiler release: 2022.06, which is in fact a delayed May release. Kudos to Justin for making it happen! Most visible changes are a
:real named argument to
DateTime.posix, and a
.Failure coercer on exceptions and Cool values.
Todd Rinaldo has published the June Newsletter to the conference in Houston, TX from June 21st to June 25th.
Did You Know?
That if you want all defined values on sparsely populated arrays, you can do a
my @a; @a = 42; @a = 666; say @a.grep(*.defined); # (42 666)
say @a:v; # (42 666)
The semantics between the
:v are subtly different though:
.defined checks the (virtual) value in the element, whereas
:v will check for existence (in the case of arrays, this means “at least assigned to once, and not having been deleted with
Weekly Challenge #168 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Simple typos, misphrasings, and punc by 0rir.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed a test issue on newer releases of MacOS.
- Vadim Belman added support for unlimited number of OS threads to be used by the standard
ThreadPoolScheduler, and fixed an issue with definedness (
:D) tests on punned role instances.
Questions about Raku
- How do you deploy your code? (No Docker) by final_bawse.
- Rust Polars – get a struct Series from
df.columninstead of an
&reference by Steve Roe.
- Multi-dispatch to candidate with native parameters not working by Suman Khanal.
- Possible to create class aliases dynamically? by Steve Dondley.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Pretty old by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Quite strange by Ranger, Stone Field.
- Intermediate code vibes by Marin Todorov.
- On signatures by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Circa 2001 by rit ebooks.
- On defer by Mohammad S Anwar.
- On try / catch / finally by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Going to a bar by Eric de Hont.
- On intersection by Ramiro Encinas.
- On multiple values by Mohammad S Anwar.
Comments about Raku
New Raku Modules
- PDF::Native “Native drop-in routines for PDF” by David Warring.
Updated Raku Modules
- Data::Summarizers, Pretty::Table, UML::Translators by Anton Antonov.
- Term::Choose::Util, Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- File::Name::Editor by amano.kenji.
- PDF, LibXML by David Warring.
- Rakudo::CORE::META, Ecosystem::Archive::Update by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- HTTP::UserAgent, OpenSSL, DateTime::Parse, IO::Socket::SSL, Encode by Filip Sergot.
- Gnome::Gio by Marcel Timmerman.
- Abbreviations, Date::Names, Text::Utils, Math::Trig by Tom Browder.
- Physics::Measure by Steve Roe.
- Pod::To::Man by Vadim Belman.
- BinaryHeap by Peter du Marchie van Voorthuysen.
This week left yours truly a bit handicapped, as their main notebook started to develop a severe case of swollen battery while finishing last weeks RWN. After publication of this Weekly Rakudo News, yours truly will attempt replacement of said battery. Wish me luck!
This week’s image was inspired by Pride Month as well as to support Ukraine in their fight against the Russian aggression. Kudos to Wendy van Dijk for the idea. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the mean time, please stay safe, stay healthy, keep up the good work! ‘Rona is also not over yet!
If you like what I’m doing, committing to a small sponsorship would mean a great deal!