Oleksandr Kyriukhin announced a new version of the Comma Complete IDE for subscribers, with a new impressive real-time overview of every open file, socket, process, thread plotted on a timeline. And other assorted fixes and updates, of course!
The Perl & Raku Conference will be in Houston from June 21 to June 25. These are the Raku presentations:
- Raku -Ofun for Everyone by Daniel Sockwell.
- Raku for Beginners by Bruce Gray.
- raku::Dan – Re-Inventing the DataFrame by Steve Roe.
- Make a module for you and others: creation and submission to Fez by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Grammatical (dis)agreement: Mixing grammars in Raku by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Three ways to Make Wrong Code Look Wrong(er) by Daniel Sockwell.
- Code intelligence for any editor by b_scan.
- Playing nice with others using the new COERCE protocol by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Raku Documentation Working Group by Daniel Sockwell.
And there will also be Hackathons for people interested in Raku development!
Anton Antonov has published a Bulgarian version of Introduction to data wrangling with Raku (/r/rakulang comments), as well as a new (English) blog post about the detection of outliers in a list of numbers (/r/rakulang comments).
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer has written a blog post about looking for hexadecimal words and distinct directories (using sets) and notes that Raku will make keyboards last twice as long.
Did You Know?
That you can call the
.pairs method on an array? It creates
Pairs with the index as the key:
my @a = <a b c d>; say @a.pairs; # (0 => a 1 => b 2 => c)
But maybe the
.antipairs method is more useful tool, for instance to turn an array into a hash lookup:
say @a.antipairs; # (a => 0 b => 1 c => 2) my %lookup = @a.antipairs; say %lookup<b>; # 1
Weekly Challenge #167 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Add definition of
AI_NUMERICSERV, fixes build on MacOS 10.6 for ppc
- Enhance interop of generics, roles, and classes, Raku or nqp (NQP)
- Enhance interop of generics, roles, and classes, Raku or nqp (Rakudo)
- Vadim Belman fixed the way the
$*PERLdynamic variable is reported as DEPRECATED.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with the initialization of
Map) from a single item.
- Stefan Seifert worked a lot on the RakuAST branch: adding support for the
is reprtrait, multi, private and meta methods, traits on methods, and signatures on role definitions, and more.
Questions about Raku
Listdifference be special? by zeekar.
NativeCallSegfaults Getting Tuple from Rust by Steve Roe.
- Place an escape sign before every non-alphanumeric characters by lisprogtor.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- On aliasing by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Still not there by Tomasz Kłoczko.
- 6 Phobia by satoshi.
- Need more content by Salve J. Nilsen.
- What happened? by Ed Edwardson.
- And now I hate it by Rob McMillin.
- The length of 🤦🏼♂️ by Ron Garcia.
- On local manipulation by Mohammad S Anwar.
- An editor for Raku by Yusuke Wada.
- On octal representation by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Still writing CGI by 杏仁豆腐.
- On regex sets by Mohammad S Anwar.
- It’s alive by @5fLRVU7TTzNEwM7.
Comments about Raku
- Why do you say it’s slow? by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- That’s what grammars are by dgl.
- On option(al) types by Ralph Mellor.
- Going off on its own by Flatland_Spider.
- Looks the same, but with different semantics by Arne Skjærholt.
- About laziness (video) by Solutions Cloud.
- The essence of what happened so far by Ralph Mellor.
- What happened to Perl 7 on Hacker News.
- A tad wonky by KronisLV.
- Raku open source projects on GitPlanet.
- Could fit your bill by subtly_homoiconic.
New Raku Modules
- File::Name::Editor “Rename files in any text editor that you like” by amano.kenji.
- Parameterizable “Make a class parameterizable” by Peter du Marchie van Voorthuysen.
- Statistics::OutlierIdentifiers “1D outlier identifier functions” by Anton Antonov.
Updated Raku Modules
- Gnome::Gio by Marcel Timmerman.
- fez by Tony O’Dell.
- Subsets::IO, Test::Builder, Pod::TreeWalker, Date::WorkdayCalendar, IO::CatHandle::AutoLines, LN, Template6, Lingua::EN::Stem::Porter, Grammar::Common, MIME::Types, XML::Entity::HTML, Random::Names, CoreHackers::Sourcery, System::Passwd, HTTP::Status, HTTP::Roles, Grammar::Profiler::Simple, HTTP::Server::Async, HTTP::Easy by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- IO::Socket::Async::SSL, Log::Timeline by Jonathan Worthington.
- AttrX::Mooish by Vadim Belman.
- Console::Blackjack by Greg Donald.
- PDF::Content, Pod::To::PDF::Lite, Gnome::Gdk3, Gnome::GObject, PDF::Font::Loader, PDF::Tags, PDF::Tags::Reader, LibXML by David Warring.
Sadly our release manager Justin DeVuyst was flooded in $work, so the 2022.05 release has been delayed a week. The movement of Raku community modules from the git ecosystem to the zef ecosystem is still progressing nicely. And three new modules with exciting functionalities!
This week’s image was created using an XBeam GyroTwister. The Rakudo Weekly News will continue to show Ukrainian inspired images in support of Ukrainian people, and any other people who are trying to make an end to the Russian aggression in Ukraine. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the mean time, please stay safe, stay healthy, keep up the good work!
If you like what I’m doing, committing to a small sponsorship would mean a great deal!