After a lot of discussion, Andrew Shitov has announced the schedule of the first ever Raku Conference (online on 6, 7 and 8 August 2021). Yes, you read that right: 3 days! One track per day. There’s still room for additional Lightning Talks on Saturday, so you can still submit a Lightning Talk! Looks like it’s going to be an excellent event, also thanks to the Sponsors!
Episodic Participation Survey
Dr. Ann Barcomb has put out a survey to research the episodic (aka occasional) participation in the Raku community (announcement, take the survey, biography, publications). As a reader of the Rakudo Weekly News, please consider taking the survey!
Call for Grants
A Call for Grant Proposals is out again, for the 2021 July round this time!
Flavio Poletti continued writing, with 2 posts this week!
- Opener chars doc unicode mismatch fix
- Fix another bug in
- Build: Tidy and improve cleanup rules
- Create checksums for release files
List.reducemethod failing with
Please check these Pull Requests and leave any comments that you may have!
- Nicholas Clark fixed a number of bugs in the various
hash_fsckfunctions on MoarVM.
- Ben Davies fixed an issue with sockets that time out while being opened.
- Stefan Seifert fixed a read overflow issue in the bytecode dumper and a reproducible build issue on NQP.
- Patrick Böker made the
*w.exebinaries on Windows not open a console window, and fixed checking for writeability when installing modules on Windows.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen worked a lot on the standard iterators for some marginal improvements, and made
last fooonly available in the latest language version.
Meanwhile, on the
new-disp branch, Jonathan Worthington managed to get 98% of spectest files to pass. Again, this is an immense step forward. Looks like a merge is getting closer and closer. But please remember that these tests now pass: there will still be significant effort needed to make a great number of optimizations work again. Still, looking quite good!
Questions about Raku
- Raku infix operator in method-like syntax by mykhal.
- Questions here? by misterperl
- Compilation error only when using the repl by rajashekar.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Representing malware genes by JJ Merelo.
- Cooler in Raku by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Renamed? by livana Lemmetyinen.
- Thoughts on grammars? by Tim is working on his website (2/100 features).
- A good solution by Gabriele Renzi.
- Introducing Tracer::Memory by Ben Davies.
- Lightning talk added by Andrew Shitov.
- Different tribes by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Didn’t work either by 𝔸𝕚𝕝𝕖𝕣𝕠𝕟(えるろん) @ Design technologist.
- Kind of bummed by Simon Proctor.
- A tough time by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Pretty cool book by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Started experimenting by Ben Sobel.
- Implementable in Raku by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Ordered a slew by Sean Kenji Gold.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- REPL / Linenoise question (backslashes) by William Michels.
- [naive] hash assingment by Aureliano Guedes.
- XML module question? by William Michels.
- Searching for a blog by Marcel Timmerman.
- Why does
.newinitialize? by Peter Scott.
- pod questions by Marcel Timmerman.
Comments about Raku
- Making classes final by Ralph Mellor.
- An amazing job by Daniel Sockwell.
- On Representation Polymorphism by Ralph Mellor.
- The perfect language by Daniel Sockwell.
- Arbitrary precision rationals by Ralph Mellor.
- This or that? by useerup.
- A mature operators set! by useerup.
- More for binary operations by Vadim Belman.
- On operator overloading by Ralph Mellor.
- Interesting every week by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- A treatise on multiple ways? by Ralph Mellor.
- Pretty clear by now by 1ter.
- Missed something? by Stephen Stuckwisch.
- Not a thing anymore by dale_glass.
- Idea unification by Ralph Mellor.
- Still has a link! by 1nickt.
New Raku Modules
- Qt::QtWidgets A wrapper to the Qt Widgets GUI by Yves Guillemot.
- Hash::Ordered role for ordered Hashes by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Updated Raku Modules
- Hematite by André Brás.
- LibraryMake, Net::SMTP by Andrew Egeler.
- p6doc by JJ Merelo.
- Text::CodeProcessing by Anton Antonov.
- Trait::Traced by Ben Davies.
- LibXML, PDF::Content, PDF::Font::Loader by David Warring.
- Hash::Agnostic, Map::Agnostic, Map::Ordered by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Red by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Gnome::GObject, Gnome::Gio by Marcel Timmerman.
- zef by Nick Logan, Tony O’Dell.
- Config::BINDish, Test::Async by Vadim Belman.
- OpenSSL by Nick Logan.
- Physics::Measure by Steve Roe.
A cool three-day conference, some blog posts, some interesting new modules, a scientific survey and the new-disp branch getting to 98% of tests passing! An exciting week, yet again. Meanwhile, stay healthy and stay vigilant. The freedom to get infected may be a goal in some countries, it is definitely not a right you should wish to exercise!