Alexey Melezhik has returned to the Raku Realm with a new tool, called R3 (the Rakudo Releases Readiness Tool). The idea being that bug reports should have an easy way to check whether the bug still exists or not, using a one-liner. Alexey explains in a blog post: Baking Rakudo Releases With R3 (/r/rakulang comments). Yours truly hasn’t had the time yet to really try it, but it looks like it’s going to be a great helper for the core developers!
Vadim Belman explains why a remark about parameterizing roles with named arguments in the Roles or When One is Many article may have been technically correct, but that an underlying issue still would not make it work as expected: An Error In The Roles Article (/r/rakulang comments).
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer was on a roll again this week with 2 blog posts:
In related news, a two-way bridge to Discord has been set up for the #raku IRC channel on Libera.Chat.
Flavio Poletti has started blogging about their experiences with the Raku Programming Language. The past week saw 3 blog posts!
The esLibre conference is over, and the Raku DevRoom was a success! JJ Merelo tweeted while the devroom was running:
- On Vue.js and Raku
- Easy to create a small backend with Cro
- On air!
- Great Internet duct tape!
- Malware Analysis
- Slides shared
- Useful running experiments
- The meaning of sigils
- The lookitupper
- Creating native binders
- Parsers for breakfast
- It’s a wrap!
Videos should be available by next week. So please check again!
The Raku Conference
It’s less than 6 weeks now until The Raku Conference, the first ever conference entirely dedicated to the Raku Programming Language, and the program is solidifying with announcements of 4 more presentations:
- A Raku API to Raku programs – the journey so far by Jonathan Worthington.
- A new general dispatch mechanism to speed up various slow Raku constructs by Jonathan Worthington.
- Sigils. Once you know them, you’ll love them in the Raku Programming Language by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- The Weekly Pearls of Raku by Andrew Shitov.
And it looks like Mohammad S Anwar may be giving a presentation as well!
Weekly Challenge #119 is available for your perusal. And this week’s “What’s everyone working on (2021.26)” as well.
unimatchfor non-base properties
- Support (nearly) all HTML5 entities in Pod
- Enable rendering of nested blocks in
modfto the Raku core’s numerical routines
Please check these Pull Requests and leave any comments that you may have!
- Vadim Belman fixed a race condition with iterators and hypering.
- Daniel Sockwell fixed
unimatchon Unicode non-base properties.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made
$()work properly (as in returning a container), added support for
lasttaking a value, and exiting the REPL by pressing CTRL-c twice.
- And some other smaller fixes and improvements.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Worthington has gotten to the point where the new dispatch system has actually become the default for method dispatch (on the
Questions about Raku
- Typed enums not working with custom types by user1915829.
- Is Raku an Interpreted or a Compiled language? by chickenstuff18.
ctagsgenerator? by SilentTeee.
- How would I require that an array field is non-empty? by HortenseAndI.
- Can I bind multiple variables at once? by Nikola Benes.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Getting better and better! by Andrew Shitov.
- Missed Two! by Blockchain Developer.
- Different transition by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Resignation by Moritz Lenz.
- A program to prove it by Julia.
- Proposed by myself by E7…..
- Creating reverse shells by Sean Kenji Gold.
- Building a UDP listener by Joelle Maslak.
- Boggles the mind by Sean Kenji Gold.
- #119.1 in a Tweet by Markus Holzer.
- #119.2 in a Tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Tau built in! by Juerd Waalboer.
- Renamed? by perlzemi.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
Comments about Raku
- Translated to Raku live by Brad Gilbert.
- Cannot access docs.raku.org by dvergin.
- Uppercasing correctly by elcaro.
- Utilize Unicode more by bradm.
New Raku Modules
- Audio::TagLib “Read ID3 and other audio metadata with TagLib” by Adrian Kreher.
- IO::Maildir “Simple module for accessing maildirs” by neula.
Updated Raku Modules
- Sustenance by Andy Weidenbaum
- p6doc by JJ Merelo.
- PathTools, OpenSSL by Nick Logan.
- App::Rakubrew by Patrick Böker.
- PDF, PDF::API6, PDF::Content, PDF::Font::Loader, PDF::Lite by David Warring.
- JSON::Stream, JSON::Stream, Pod::Test::Code by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- BusyIndicator by Joelle Maslak.
- Cro::OpenAPI::RoutesFromDefinition by Jonathan Worthington.
- Gnome::Gtk3, Gnome::N by Marcel Timmerman.
- Git::Config by Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer.
- Data::Tree, RakuRename by Stuart Little.
Again with a little delay, this week’s Rakudo Weekly News is again a nice testament to the people blogging about the Raku Programming Language. Even though restrictions appear to be lifted in many places in the world, please remain vigilant to stay healthy and still have a good time: this isn’t over yet! In any case, hope to see you all next week again!