Daniel Sockwell has started a discussion on what to do with the contents provided by the CCR Project with an idea to publish a “Best Of Raku” book. Modelled after books such as Coders at Work and Introduction to Best Software Writing, it would ask the Raku community to select 15-30 blog posts that do a good job of telling the story of the Raku Programming Language, thereby providing a good overview of what Raku is all about. Further suggestions, and other ideas, are very much welcome! And on a related note, 328 blog posts have been remastered so far!
A point release
Alexander Kiryuhin announced the Rakudo Compiler 2021.02.1 Release to fix an unfortunate regression that was sadly not caught before the 2021.02 release.
Highlighting for *.raku files
Andrew Shitov noted that Github has started highlighting *.raku files as files containing code of The Raku Programming Language.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer wrote three blog posts this week:
Weekly Challenge #102 is available for your perusal.
- Formal request for The Raku Foundation
- VMArray: Use dest for select
- VMArray: Check slot type for read_buf and write_buf
- Fix a couple errors when running scripts with the JS runner
- Update broken IRC log links
$x ** ±Infis sometimes
- Add a predicated wait for
- Tweak some tests to work on JVM backend
Please check them out and leave any comments that you may have!
- Jonathan Worthington fixed an issue with profiler output of multi-threaded code.
- Patrick Böker fixed an issue with rebuilding on the Azure CI pipelines.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with array-slicing when the slice consistent of mixed lazy and non-lazy parts.
- Vadim Belman optimized coercive parameter typechecking, making calling
sub foo(Bool() $bar)upto 9x as fast.
- Daniel Sockwell implemented space-delimited command line parameters (
--foo=42) (and wow, and what a commit message!).
- Salvador Ortiz fixed an issue with
$*KERNEL.signals, which would return an extraneous element.
In related news, Jonathan Worthington has added quite a number of features in the rakuast branch in the past week.
Questions about Raku
- Grammar problem when trying to define a grammar for markdown by byteunit.
- How to use a wrapper script for a CLI by Daniel Sockwell.
- Is it possible to use
CompUnitmodules for collected data? by Richard Hainsworth.
- Markdown grammar to parse sections by byteunit.
- Mathematical precision at 19th decimal place and beyond by lisprogtor.
- Regex to capture and modify the LFM code blocks by Lars Malmsteen.
- As a complete beginner…why Raku over Python and some others? by Brixes.
butoperators when mixing in a Role into an object by Daniel Sockwell.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Still too bloated by Tony O’Dell.
- Experiments in Maths and DSL’s by Simon Proctor.
- It’s now called Raku by Cuong Manh Le.
- Updated tutorial examples by Jonathan Stowe.
- Teapotting by Jonathan Stowe.
- Finally highlights by Andrew Shitov.
Redby Jonathan Stowe.
- Try out “what if” ideas by Brian Wisti.
- Have you heard about… by New River Investments Inc.
- A niche in digital humanities? by Abacus.
- It is a delight by Gareth Field.
- Released a lot of videos by JJ Merelo.
- Wonder if it will be taken by harurun🌹
- How should
Redtypes work? by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Temporarily confused by Jake Hamby.
- A good chance for TPF by Andrew Shitov.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
Comments about Raku
- More of a theoretical concern by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Case statements on steroids by Ralph Mellor.
- The new Lisp by wolfgang.
- A child’s toy by bmn__.
- An interesting idea by Ralph Mellor.
- Phasers on stun by Ralph Mellor.
- On representing quotients by dragonwriter.
- Squeeze out the boilerplate by Ralph Mellor.
- A bit crazy in a Raku way by Thibault Duponchelle.
- Popular language by layoutIfNeeded.
- Creating a new programming language in minutes by Ralph Mellor.
- Backend Web Frameworks: Cro, minimalistic by Alex Merced.
- Individual languages by hazbo.
- Basic block syntax by Ralph Mellor.
- Preferred language: Raku by Mark J. Reed.
New Raku Modules
Updated Raku Modules
- Web::App by JJ Merelo.
- Terminal::ANSI, Terminal::UI by Brian Duggan.
- HarfBuzz, LibXML by David Warring.
- Red by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Pakku::RecMan, Pakku::RecMan::Client by Haytham Elganiny.
- License::SPDX by Jonathan Stowe.
- Getopt::Long by Leon Timmermans.
- Gnome::Glib, Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- LogP6 by Mikhail Khorkov.
- Raku::Pod::Render, Collection by Richard Hainsworth.
- Inline::Perl5 by Stefan Seifert.
- fez by zef:tony-o.
Continue to be safe and healthy! With that said, another nice Rakudo Weekly News with plenty to read and think about. See you next week for another instalment!