Wim Vanderbauwhede continues their excellent blog series on algebraic data types with an extensive treatise on function types in not only Raku, but also Python, Rust and Haskell, with some C and Fortran thrown in for good measure (/r/rakulang, Twitter comments). Recommended if you would like to know more about functional programming and/or algebraic data types!
Continuing RFC investigations
Another collection of cool blog posts this week in honour of the 20th Anniversary of the Perl 6 RFC process:
- RFC 54, by Damian Conway: Operators: Polymorphic comparisons by p6steve (/r/rakulang comments).
- RFC 43: Integrate BigInts (and BigRats) Support Tightly With The Basic Scalars by John Longwalker (/r/rakulang comments).
- RFC22: Control flow: Builtin switch statement, by Damian Conway by Leon Timmermans.
- RFC 190, by Damian Conway: NEXT pseudoclass for method redispatch by Tobias Boege (/r/rakulang comments).
- RFC 307, by Simon Cozens by JJ Merelo.
- RFC 188, by Damian Conway: Objects: Private keys and methods by Alexander Kiryuhin (HackerNews comments).
- RFC 159, by Nathan Wiger: True Polymorphic Objects by Elizabeth Mattijsen
Looking forward to the final three!
Two this time
Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer wrote two blog posts this week: Guarding Dynamics and Defined or dynvar. Andrew Shitov also wrote two blog posts in the Pearls of Raku series: Issue 5: the
where clause and Issue 6:
BEGIN in addition to the blog posts for the Weekly Challenge.
The entries for Challenge 73 that have Raku solutions:
- Weekly Challenge #73 by Luca Ferrari.
- Sliding Neighbour with Raku & Perl by Arne Sommer.
- Weekly Challenge #73 by Javier Luque.
- Weekly Challenge #73, Video Task #1, Task #2 by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Open the Window Just a Little Bit so Your Smallest Smaller Neighbour Can Get In by Colin Crain.
- Weekly Challenge #73 by Andrew Shitov.
- Min Sliding Window and Smallest Neighbor by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Weekly Challenge #73 by Jaldhar H. Vyas.
- Nicholas Clark fixed a race condition in the garbage collection logic.
- Christian Bartolomäus implemented the
nqp::execnameop on the JVM backend, allowing for a lot of code simplification in Rakudo.
Questions about Raku
- How to access the attributes of a class indirectly by Richard Hainsworth.
- How to specify a github repo as the source of dependency of a module? by cowbaymoo.
- Art for stickers? by Ali.
- How to define protected methods? by cowbaymoo.
- Raku: effect of capture markers is lost “higher up” by mscha.
- Cannot install App::Mi6 by Mohammad S Anwar.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Time lost in promise by Pradeep Pant |प्रदीप पंत.
- Gain three more by Andrew Shitov.
- They know nothing by Jonathan Cast.
- Twelve per week on average by Mohammad S Anwar.
- I remember vs by vass.
- A bit misleading? by Solomon Foster.
- Best support for multi-line strings by z̢͠a̡ļg͡o͏ b̷e̛҉çk̕͞ơ͢nş̛͞.
- VP a hater? by Salve J. Nilsen.
- Publishers without API by JJ Merelo.
- Recipes ready for pre-order by JJ Merelo.
- Splitting paths by Ramiro Encinas.
- Not to discuss by Klaus Stein.
- Don’t Wait! by Alexey Melezhik.
- A lot worse in practice by Tomasz Wegrzanowski.
- A little harder, please? by Mohammad S Anwar.
- August Sale! by JJ Merelo.
- Different languages by C言語完全に理解したん.
- Done in 4 languages by Mohammad S Anwar.
- My face? by Brian Wisti.
- 98 contributions by Mohammad S Anwar.
- What do you love about Raku? by Byron Alley.
- Towards a Weekly Challenge by Mohammad S Anwar.
- What if… by Vanderson M. Rosario 🇧🇷.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Combining multiple “is…” traits into one? by Stuart Hungerford.
- Place for examples in a Raku module? by Stuart Hungerford.
- Re-exporting modules that export operators… by Stuart Hungerford.
Comments about Raku
- Mind blown by artelius.
- Haven’t touched Raku by dreamwavedev.
- Raku-style regexes by s-ro_mojosa.
- Benchmarks by bobthecimmerian.
- On encapsulation by Ralph Mellor.
- Without a language by daniellionel.
New Raku Modules
Updated Raku Modules
- HTML::Canvas, LibXML by David Warring.
- Oddmuse6 by Alex Schroeder.
- PDF::Class by David Warring.
- JSON::Fast by Timo Paulssen.
- Sparrow6 by Alexey Melezhik.
- Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- Hash::Agnostic, Array::Agnostic by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Again a week with emphasis on blog posting and modules in the ecosystem! Yours truly keeps repeating: don’t forget to stay healthy and to stay safe. Let’s see how things are in the world of the Raku Programming Language next week!