If you intended to write a blog post for this years Raku Advent Calendar, you’re too late! Well, sort of. You can still add yourself as a fallback should one of the other participants not be able to write a blog post after all!
Or you can do as Sterling Hanenkamp and do your own Advent Calendar. In their case about Async & Concurrency! The more the merrier!
- Thanks to Razvan Calugarasu kindly renaming their Github account, the Raku Core Developers are now in control of https://github.com/Raku. Transfer of repositories from https://github.com/perl6 will happen in the coming weeks.
- Andy Lester is looking for someone to take over the
vim-perl6package to move it into the Raku era. Please someone, please?
The Raku Beginner Tutorial
Nikos Vaggalis has published a nice blog about Yanzhan Yang‘s Raku Tutorial videos, also mentioning Laurent Rosenfeld‘s Think Perl 6 book. Curiously, there also appears to be a French version of the same blog.
Rewriting Legacy Code
Jeff Goff has started a series of blog posts about rewriting legacy code to Raku, more specifically porting OLE::Storage_Lite. Looking forward to seeing the first module upload to the ecosystem! (/r/rakulang comments).
- Binary Encoded Morse Code by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Morse and Remorse with Raku by Arne Sommer.
- Weekly Challenge #35 by Javier Luque.
Of course, Challenge #36 is up for your perusal!
Not a lot was going on last week feature-wise, while awaiting the Rakudo compiler release:
- Stefan Seifert fixed a sign-extension issue related to
NativeCallthat would show itself with empty arrays when using
- Tom Browder improved error messages in declarator pod blocks.
- Vadim Belman merged his work of the past weeks with regards to generating the correct
rakudoexecutable (with aliases
perl6for compatibility). They also made sure that
$.foo: 42syntax works as an alternative to
- Ben Davies improved naming of metamodels, so that the relative expensive creating of a
shortnameis only done when needed.
- And some smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Create and populate an array of objects? by hsmyers.
- WebApp::Template condition behaviour and use of variables by kolikov.
- Capture the returned value of a routine used in RUN-MAIN? by Daniel Mita.
- Behaviors on **2 vs ² by hkdtam.
- Why does comb behave differently inside the loop? by jmcneimey.
- Question on the array generating sequence by Lars Malmsteen.
- Is it possible to parse a string as if it’s surrounded by
>>? by cowbaymoo.
- One line expression to capture group from string? by con.
- Use a variable and assign an expression to it in one step by Lars Malmsteen.
- How to write a declaration for a C function returning a whole struct? by Fernando Santagata.
- Which perl for text in 2019? by CourierZetta.
startblock won’t end by Stanley.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Use the
Rattype by Jo Christian Oterhals.
- More comprehensive by The Perl Shop.
- Exceptional mess by Daniel Mita.
- Looking nice by Simon Proctor.
- Because insane by Jared Ashcraft.
- Actually using it by Jonathan Stowe.
- Widely used by Massa 👽 Humberto.
- Graceful Restart by Joelle Maslak.
- An Introduction to Raku by BCS Open Source Specialist Group.
- How it evolves by JJ Merelo.
- Thank you at commitconf by JJ Merelo.
- [\+]! by john.
- Please edit links by JJ Merelo.
- Spanish up-to-date by Ramiro Encinas.
- Not trivial by JJ Merelo.
- A new home by JJ Merelo.
- Interestingly infinite by e^iπ+1.
- => Ku by B.G.
- Poster children by Matthew Persico.
- Looking at modern languages by Embecosm.
- Rebranded last month by Jeremy Bennett.
- Convenient tweet by パ.
- Nothing Mu by かるぱねるら.
- Better? by ぷらす.
- Illustrative graphics by JJ Merelo.
- Recommendation of the day by linuxonrails.
- What a Raku is by Luis GC.
- Always Yes by Commit Conf.
- Weekly informal study group by siliconbaytech.
- Quick Syntax on Sale by JJ Merelo.
- A tad overwhelming by Jared Ashcraft.
.WHYis a great feature by Ben Davies.
Meanwhile on Facebook
Alas, the Perl 6 Facebook group has still not been renamed. If you’re interested in developments there, please navigate from the Perl 6 group homepage.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Split to walk into an HoH? by Marc Chantreux.
- Need Windows loop help by ToddAndMargo.
- for by 3? by ToddAndMargo.
- Which Windows am I in? by ToddAndMargo.
- Perl 6 vs batch by ToddAndMargo.
- run line question by ToddAndMargo.
- Pop ups in Windows? by ToddAndMargo.
qxand echo question by ToddAndMargo.
Comments about Raku
- Surprising Rat by emptybits.
- Don’t want to fiddle around by _pmf_.
- A context free language by Ralph Mellor.
- Influenced by CLOS by lispm.
- Word ordering by Ralph Mellor.
- Going faster, spot on by Ralph Mellor.
New Raku Modules
- Grid by Haytham Elganiny.
Updated Raku Modules
- LibXML by David Warring.
- Math::FFT::Libfftw3 by Fernando Santagata.
- Net::BGP by Joelle Maslak.
- Pg::Notify by Jonathan Stowe.
- Gnome::GObject, Gnome::Gtk3, Gnome::Glib, Gnome::Gdk3 by Marcel Timmerman.
Just before closing this issue of the Rakudo Weekly, a renaming snag was found in the Rakudo Compiler Release process that needed some thoughts and discussion. Fortunately, there is a 2019.11 MoarVM release already! So please check in again next week for news about the compiler release, and other news related to Rakudo and the Raku Programming Language, of course!