An announcement by the board of The Perl Foundation caused quite a bit of confusion (PerlWeekly, HackerNews comments), both in the Perl and Raku communities. Elizabeth Mattijsen explained that it was the wording of the announcement causing confusion. It’s the underlying legal entity “Yet Another Society” that will get another trade name (doing-business-as) “The Perl and Raku Foundation” (TPRF). Along with the other dbas “The Perl Foundation” and “The Raku Foundation”.
Mini-Grants for FOSDEM
Almost drowned out in the announcement, was the offer of TPRF to provide grants of 300 US$ to anybody who is accepted to give a Perl / Raku presentation in any of the devrooms at FOSDEM 2023 (4-5 February, Brussels, Belgium).
Alexey Melezhik blogged about the DSL of SparrowCI in “DSL is dead, long live DSL!“
Elizabeth Mattijsen was on a roll this week, with 3 instalments in the “Don’t fear the grepper! series:
- Part 3: introducing the topic variable
- Part 4: using
- Part 5:
Anton Antonov has published a re-recording on Youtube of a presentation given at the Wolfram Technology Conference called Simplified Machine Learning Workflows Overview (Raku-centric).
Tom Browder introduced themselves in their first blog post on dev.to, called Pitching Raku!
The minutes of the October 29th, 2022 meeting are available.
Weekly Challenge #189 is available for your perusal.
New Problem Solving Issues
New Pull Requests
- Daniel Green added a
chownop in MoarVM.
- Ben Davies implemented a cheaper bytecode (de)serialization algorithm on the JVM backend.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen introduced a
rotor-like capability to
Str.combin 6.e, making it much easier / more efficient (7.5x as fast) to produce n-grams from strings.
- Stefan Seifert continued working on the RakuAST branch, allowing native / custom array types to be used as attributes, upping number of passing test-files to 536/1354 (+4) and 68/131 (+3).
Questions about Raku
- Is there a function/method that would allow a sorted hash array to be iterated upon and determine its biggest value? by Homerian.
- Need help on assignment by Snehal26.
- Why aren’t variables interpolated in
constantdeclarations? by Jim Bollinger.
- Why doesn’t
utf8-c8encoding work when reading filehandles by Robin A. Meade.
- Wanted: pkg symbolic by jj_ya.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- A hare pipeline by Alexey Melezhik.
- No. But. Yeah. But. by Massa Humberto.
- Promptly by Massa Humberto.
- On becoming batter by # 5,014,590,418.
- 0.2 of
rakby Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Much simpler by Paul Cochrane.
- Artsy AI by AI Pirate Apes.
- Count and divide by Ralph Mellor.
- Multi-version pipeline Alexey Melezhik.
- On finding some work buy Semyon Slepov.
- No need for side-effects by Massa Humberto.
- The message by Massa Humberto.
- A distributed work queue, please! by Jonathan Stowe.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- How do I do a literal string in the target of a regex? by ToddAndMargo.
- How to I pick out items in the middle? by ToddAndMargo.
Comments about Raku
- Looks nice by Beltalowda.
- Raku appears in graph by Maika Möbus.
- Misreading rules by HortenseAndI.
Updated Raku Modules
- File::Which by Ahmad M. Zawawi.
- Lingua::EN::Sentence by Kim Ryan.
- Random::Choice by Itsuki Toyota.
- Sparky-Job-Api, Sparrowdo, Sparrow6 by Alexey Melezhik.
- IRC::Client, highlighter, App::Rak by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Text::Utils, CSV-AutoClass by Tom Browder.
- Git::File::History by JJ Merelo.
- Lingua::NumericWordForms, Markdown::Grammar by Anton Antonov.
- Raku::Pod::Render, raku-pod-extraction, Collection, Collection-Plugins by Richard Hainsworth.
- Timezones::ZoneInfo by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Font::FreeType, PDF::Font::Loader by David Warring.
- Text::CSV by H.Merijn Brand.
- PublicSuffix by JJ Atria.
Quite a few blog posts this week, sorry 🙂
This week’s picture again shows that parts of the Netherlands are hilly enough to make clouds touch the ground, reminding us of the beauty of Ukraine, still fighting the Russian aggression. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the meantime, please keep staying safe, keep staying healthy, and keep up the good work!
If you like what I’m doing, committing to a small sponsorship would mean a great deal!