kapitaali_com wondered whether Raku is mature enough to build a university level computer science course around it. And a positive discussion followed. Looking forward to the first result of anybody picking up on this!
Raku Community On Twitter
Thanks to Claudio Ramirez, there is now also a Raku Community on Twitter! Not a lot going on there just yet, but who knows what the future will bring.
Ralph Mellor created the first poll on /r/rakulang, the outcome of that poll indicates there may come more, as long as they’re well designed and administered.
Konstantin Narkhov has taken on the invasion of Ukraine in a very programmatic way: if you’re a developer on Github or Gitlab, you can show your support by creating a Pull Request for the Manifest::StopWar module.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer had another nice set of blog posts on ways to use the Raku Programming Language:
- Diving deep on Raku regexes, and coming back with a better way for grammars to cooperate (/r/rakulang comments).
- A (very!) basic record type I’ve found useful
- Submit Raku talks for the 2022 Conference in Houston!
Matthew “Stephen” Stuckwisch figured out the code with the most non-alpha characters in a row. And asked the question: What’s everyone working on? (March 2022 Edition). And activated user flairs on /r/rakulang.
Tony O’Dell wrote the first part of a series on Building a Cro application.
New Pull Requests
- Resolution: Preparing the Raku Ecosystem for the Future
- Fix all returned native integers getting treated as signed
- Some optimizations for regex substitution
- Allow the
dayparameter to be a Callable
- Daniel Green fixed a string issue with
NativeCall, and JITted many more of the new unsigned integer
_uops, and fixed a spesh issue with native unsigned int named arguments.
- Stefan Seifert made sure that when an unsigned native integer is returned, it will continue to be treated as unsigned. And fixed a build issue with installed modules after a Rakudo rebuild. And fixed a very hard to reproduce multi-level inlining issue, finally!
- Patrick Böker fixed the semantics of
IO::Path.parentin some (important) edge cases (better).
- Vadim Belman fixed an issue with
multi methodcandidates getting lost in 6.e.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen exposed the
- And some other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- What’s the difference between
::?CLASSby Daniel Sockwell.
- Why do I need to touch
Hashif assigned via
map? by Steve Roe.
- Why does adding a type before a hash variable that is being built with fat arrow syntax, lead to type check failed error? by chenyf.
- Parsing HTML table with Raku Grammar by fishy.
- Self-contained Raku executables by anna_g0mez.
- Comma plugin for IntelliJ doesn’t see my modules? by monnef.
- How to get better error prompt if the input value from command line not in a list of valide choice in the
MAINroutine? by chenyf.
- Most non-alpha characters in a row by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Precedence inside a function call by Daniel Sockwell.
- Reuse parent symbols in child module by Steve Roe.
- How many exceptions does one
CATCHblock catch? by lisprogtor.
- Making exported functions in submodules accessible in global namespace by Suman Khanal.
- Unable to use `run` routine on complex bash command by Steve Dondley.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Unrelated? by Magister and Technological Lich.
- Achieving enlightenment by DeusIX.
- Not many left by Reggie Drax.
- Community design by Internet Fount.
- Left factorials by This.prototype.me = 🥺.
- Running it verbatim by Markus Holzer.
- Sad, disgusted and angry by Jonathan Worthington.
- Avoiding the problem by Mike Spooner.
- Stop the war manifest by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Who’s doing what? by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Add a statement of support by JJ Merelo.
- What’s stopping you? by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Raku fanart by Loco L’omnis ろこ·ろむにす.
- Can be a good option by Suman Khanal.
- Labelling your warnings and errors by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Evolutionary superseded by JJ Merelo.
- Googling it the right way by エヌユル.
- To see nerdy friends by ashley (deciding to be less tired).
- The time between by 💉💉💉 I’d rather be outdoors.
- Clear winner by Josh.
- Upgrading community modules by JJ Merelo.
- Changed it a little by エヌユル.
Comments about Raku
- Needs review by jenda.
- On representation polymorphism by Ralph Mellor.
- Feature by design by pie_flavor.
- May self-destruct by Rachel Thomas.
- No need for async by bmn__.
- Not crazy, showing serious promise by Tomasz Wegrzanowski.
- Has been renamed by Software Testing Help.
- On wantarray by Ralph Mellor.
- Fine when explicitly requested by Tomasz Wegrzanowski.
- On the precision of rationals by Ralph Mellor.
- On multi-phase programming by Ralph Mellor.
- Call it regexen by dpwm.
- On closed and open end-points by Ralph Mellor.
- On multi prompt delimited continuations by Ralph Mellor.
New Raku modules
- Dan “Top level roles for Data Analytics” by Steve Roe.
- List::Operator::DoublePlus “Another operator for list concatenation” by Tilwa Qendov.
- Pod::To::PDF “Render Pod to PDF via Cairo” by David Warring.
- Statistics “Raku module for doing statistics” by Suman Khanal.
- Log::Dispatch “Dispatching multi-source, multi-destination logging” by Vadim Belman.
- Manifest::StopWar “The manifest to stop the war between Russia and Ukraine in Raku” by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Games::Wordle “Wordle in Raku” by Daniel Mita.
Updated Raku Modules
- Net::SMTP, Email::Simple, Net::IMAP, Zef::Configuration, JSON::JWT, Ecosystem::Archive::Update, DateTime::Format, Pastebin::Gist, Pastebin::Shadowcat, App::Nopaste, Datetime::Math, DateTime::TimeZone by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Token::Foreign by Matthew Stuckwisch.
- Gnome::Gtk3, Cairo, Gnome::N, Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- HTTP::Server::Middleware::JSON by Tony O’Dell.
- PDF::Tags::Reader, PDF, HarfBuzz, Pod::To::PDF::Lite by David Warring.
- LR1 by codechurch.
- Config::BINDish, IP::Addr, AttrX::Mooish by Vadim Belman.
- SelectiveImporting by wukgdu.
- Sway::PreviewKeys by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Dawa, Digest::SHA1::Native, Digest::SHA256::Native by Brian Duggan.
- App::SerializerPerf by Geoffrey Broadwell.
- File::Directory::Tree by Brent Laabs.
- Lingua::EN::Numbers by Steve Schulze.
- Algorithm::LibSVM, Random::Choice by Itsuki Toyota.
- Operator::dB by Owen Allsopp.
- Logger by André Brás.
- Config::TOML by Andy Weidenbaum.
- XML, Algorithm::Evolutionary::Simple, LWP::Simple, URI, SOAP::Client, URI::Encode, CoreHackers::Q by JJ Merelo.
And what a two weeks it was. With so much destruction of material and immaterial assets built up over decades since the end of the Cold War 😭.
Therefore, until further notice, the Rakudo Weekly News will be showing the Ukrainian flag 🇺🇦 in support of the people in Ukraine, and any other people who are trying to make an end to the invasion of, and the war in Ukraine. Слава Україні! Героям слава!
In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy and keep up the good work 🕊🌻!