Daniel Sockwell wrote two advent blog posts (1, 2) about the problem of dependencies. This resulted in the release of the
_ module (aka “lowbar” module), a growing collection of micro packages of less than 70 lines of code. This caused quite some discussion on Hacker News and made it to the top posts list! Good to see the Raku Programming Language in the news!
It’s still Advent Calendar time! These are the entries of the past week:
- Day 7 – Neural Nets in Raku (Part 1) by Simon Proctor (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 8 – Practice… on Advent of Code by Flavio Poletti.
- Day 9 – Raku code coverage by JJ Atria.
- Day 10 – Java Annotations in Raku or my @annotation is role; by Mikhail Khorkov (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 11 – Unix philosophy without left-pad, Part 2: Minimizing dependencies with a utilities package by Daniel Sockwell (/r/rakulang, /r/ProgrammingLanguage, HackerNews comments).
- Day 12 – A long journey to Ethereum signatures by Konstantin Narkhov (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 13 – Coloring your tools holidays by Vadim Belman.
If you’re up to it, there are still one or two slots available if you would like to contribute!
FOSDEM 2022 Call For Participation
The Call for Participation for the Raku DevRoom at FOSDEM 2022 is now officially open! Please submit your presentation proposals before 20 December! If you feel your Raku presentation could be done in another DevRoom or on the Main Track, then this is also the time to submit your proposal.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer wrote quite a few blog posts:
Flavio Poletti was again inspired by the Weekly Challenge and the Advent of Code 2021:
- Lanternfishes going round and round
- Median crabs (/r/rakulang comments)
- Treachery is contagious
- Flood fill
Weekly Challenge #143 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Daniel Green made sure that
CPPStructs is malloced correctly, and speed up
- Vadim Belman fixed several issues with dumping
- Elizabeth Mattijsen reduced the call to
Kernel.cpu-coresin the core to workaround an issue on MacOS Monterey.
Questions about Raku
- Most wanted libraries? by final_bawse.
- Calling a module does not work in Windows by Suman Khanal.
laston non-loops by Timothy Nelson.
- How do I get rid of intermediate
@it? by Kang-min Liu.
- Command executed through
Proc::Asyncis not “tapped” correctly by Aftershock.
- Looking up list keys in a Raku
- When will the CFP start? by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Getting rid of repetition in grammar? by Markus Holzer.
- Result type of hyperoperators by Nikola Benes.
- Rakudo on ARM experience? by Solomon Foster.
EXPORTHOWto make declarator that acts like
subby Daniel Sockwell.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Top 10 programming languages by Barbarella Psychodella.
- AoC Day 5 by 0racle.
- Should I raise my hand? by Flavio Poletti.
- Completed Treachery by Kang-min Liu.
- Wrapping up my resurrection by JJ Atria.
- In two lines of code! by Markus Holzer.
- Sorting as an integer by Suman Khanal.
- May be missing some tricks by Smylers.
- A rather profound dive by Lucasoft co.uk.
- Ends with a cliffhanger by JJ Merelo.
- Rambunctious and rowdy by zhuge liang stan.
- Gave up in 2019 by @Nentuaby.
- Windows 9 of scripting languages by Amber Alex.
- They hate it by rat rancher.
- Didn’t find enough popularity by @email@example.com.
- Take it for a whirl by MasterBismuth.
- Shares no lineage by Endless Mason.
- Handling unicode well by Michael Kohl.
- We don’t talk about it by sorry, no ipv6 here!
- Giant squid completed by Julio.
- Pretty neat by Mark Gardner.
- Seven Segment Completed by Markus Holzer.
- Useful work by Mikhail Khorkov.
- Using code coverage by JJ Merelo.
- A Raku DevRoom by Andrew Shitov.
- An excellent
traitprimer by Jonathan Stowe.
.subparsecan’t 😦 by Gabriele Renzi.
- Consumed by a greedy regex by Mr Grumpy.
- The introduction of
_by JJ Merelo.
- Seen in the wild? by Brando Bloom.
- Same position by t_yano.
- Hydrothermal completed by Julio.
- Two lines and done by Suman Khanal.
- Comments on HackerNews by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Take you Xmas Drink by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Lanternfish completed by Julio.
- Similar in terms of speed by Kamg-min Liu.
- Generated with a Raku library by JJ Merelo.
- Dumbo Octopus in one file by Markus Holzer.
- Pretty console UI tools by JJ Merelo.
- Risks you cannot calculate by Sascha.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- Subscripting, semicolons, and adverbs by Sean McAfee.
- Phasers Suggestions by Timothy Nelson.
Date.new("2024-02-29").later( :1year)by rir.
Comments about Raku
New Raku modules
- _ “A meta package for zero-dependency micro packages of under 70 lines of code” by Daniel Sockwell.
Updated Raku Modules
- Gnome::Gtk3, Gnome::N, Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- Net::Ethereum, Node::Ethereum::RLP, Bitcoin::Core::Secp256k1 by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Math::Libgsl::Constants, Math::Libgsl::Interpolation, Math::Libgsl::Matrix by Fernando Santagata.
- IRC::Client, IRC::Client::Plugin::Logger, IRC::Log, IRC::Log::Colabti, App::Raku::Log by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- RedFactory by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Data::Generators by Anton Antonov.
- Pastebin::Gist, Acme::Advent::Highlighter, Geo::Location, GNU::Time, Proc::Easy, Text::Utils, Date::YearDay by Tom Browder.
- Terminal::UI by Brian Duggan.
- Sparrowdo by Alexey Melezhik.
- Text::Markdown, Slang::Roman by JJ Merelo.
- AI::FANN by JJ Atria.
- PDF::Content by David Warring.
Again, quite the Weekly to make! A lot to read and take in this week again! And it still can’t be said often enough: stay healthy and stay safe! See you next week for more Rakudo news!