It’s Advent Calendar time again! These are the entries so far:
- Day 1 – Batteries Included: Generating Thumbnails by Brian Duggan (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 2 – Rotation of Log files in a nutshell by Ramiro Encinas.
- Day 3 – Silently by Elizabeth Mattijsen (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 4 – Santa’s OCD Sorted by Elizabeth Mattijsen (/r/rakulang comments).
- Day 5 – Santa Claus is Rakuing Along by Tom Browder.
- Day 6 – Following the Unix philosophy without getting
left-padby Daniel Sockwell (/r/ProgrammingLanguages comments).
A nice collection of blog posts! And if you’re up to it, there are still a few slots available if you would like to contribute!
Advent of Code
Some Raku community members have also been participating in the Advent of Code puzzles. Daniel Sockwell has set up a repository of Raku AoC solutions just like last year and reminds us why the Raku Programming Language is the ideal language for the Advent of Code puzzles (/r/rakulang comments).
FOSDEM 2022 Call For Papers
The Call for Papers for the Raku DevRoom at FOSDEM 2022 is now open! Please submit your presentation proposals before 20 December! If you feel your Raku presentation could be done in another DevRoom, then this is also the time to submit your proposal.
A Release Manager!
Justin DeVuyst (aka jdv on #raku) has accepted the responsibility of being the Release Manager of the next Rakudo Compiler Release. I’m sure all of us in the Raku Community are looking forward to seeing their first release. No pressure 🙂 And a big thanks from all for taking this on!
This week saw the publication of two Grant Reports about projects involving the Raku Programming Language:
- Optimizations building upon the new Raku dispatch mechanism by Jonathan Worthington.
- Raku CI Bot Grant Report by Patrick Böker.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer wrote MONKEY-SEE-NO-CROSSPRODUCT this week, inspired by the Weekly Challenge.
Flavio Poletti wrote four blog posts inspired by the Weekly Challenge and the Advent of Code 2021:
Weekly Challenge #142 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
\dis for decimal
- Simple deletion of “of course” phrases
Allocathe nativecall args that we can
- Allows the proper use of
- Make sure that
nqp::cpucoresis only called once ever
:slipnamed argument to
- Stefan Seifert fixed a number of improper memory access issues.
- Vadim Belman fixed some recently introduced issues in
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue when calling
Callablethat takes three or more arguments.
- And some other smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Zef stopped working after MacOS Monterey upgrade by reddit_clone.
- Summing list of lists by Suman Khanal.
- Sliding over a sequence with overlapping windows by zeekar.
- Getting the last element of a lazy
Seqby Nikola Benes.
- Using Roast to Test Raku Builds on non-Intel architectures by s-ro_mojosa.
- How do I create a return type constraint? by Mohammad S Anwar.
- What’s the fastest way to check if a given character is an ASCII letter? by anna_g0mez.
- Can range operator on strings mimic Perl’s behaviour? by Nikola Benes.
- Lists and Sequences and Arrays, oh my! by zeekar.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Free Tutorials by SyntaxError.
- A small update by Lance Wicks.
- Mirroring Repositories by Mikhail Khorkov.
- That time of year again by JJ Merelo.
- Maybe if better managed by Flaky Puff.
- A Taste of Concurrency by JJ Merelo.
- Rotor time again by Kang-min Liu.
- TIL by Latz.
- We don’t talk about it by none gender with left politics.
- Did it this morning by Flavio Poletti.
- Solutions by Markus Holzer.
- Is windows in Rust by Kang-min Liu.
- AoC Day 1 by Michael Kohl.
Zefecosystem by Shoichi Kaji.
- Atomics are emojis by Onur Küçük.
- Not an experiment by Ali.
- This is cute by Fifi.
- Everyone’s doing it by 0racle.
- Not a Raku-boy? by David L.
- Rotating logs by JJ Merelo.
- A boring statement by Kang-min Liu.
- Consider yourself warned by Markus Holzer.
- AoC Day 2 by Michael Kohl.
- This is pretty nice by Gabriele Renzi.
- Script in #rakulang by JJ Merelo.
- In a nutshell by Ramiro Encinas.
- Onto us! by Flavio Poletti.
- Alas, only the first question by Kang-min Liu.
- Comma can read heap snapshots by Jonathan Worthington.
- Masked T-shirt by Mark Gardner.
- Solutions below by Markus Holzer.
- A fun version by Michael Kohl.
- All 2021 advent articles by JJ Merelo.
- Doesn’t save much time by Kang-min Liu.
- It did not fit by Markus Holzer.
- I like the brevity by Markus Holzer.
- Equivalent to chunks in Rust by Kang-min Liu.
- Rakuing along by JJ Merelo.
- Links to advent calendars by JJ Merelo.
- Fits in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Check this out by Markus Holzer.
- Solving puzzles by Nova Patch.
- Sometimes forget to add flat by Kang-min Liu.
- A profound dive by JJ Merelo.
- Or Raku… by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- New Docker images by JJ Merelo.
- Extraordinary amounts of patience, stubbornness and endurance by Jonathan Worthington.
- Great article! by Paul Cochrane.
- It fits in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Sleep sort solution by Jo Chr. Oterhals.
- I’m back! by Gabriele Renzi.
- Ten years from now by CBO.
- The same as? by Jered Floyd.
Comments about Raku
- We’ll see how it goes by riffraff.
- It does as you suggest by Ralph Mellor.
- Impressive asynchronous and concurrent features by VVertigo.
- User-defined subgrammars by layer8.
- Continues the tradition by Sue Gee.
- For web designers and developers by Iris Lješnjanin
- Listed separately by jeroenheijmans.
- A braid of slangs by Ralph Mellor.
- Also loved Raku by Curtis Poe.
- The merely possible in the Raku realm by Adrian Sandu.
New Raku modules
- roundrobin-slip “Provide
roundrobin(:slip)for older Rakus” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Map::Match “Provide a
Mapwhere keys are regular expressions” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Updated Raku Modules
- Ini::Storage, Log::D, Hash::File by jaffa4.
- Text::Flags, Text::MathematicalCase, Random::Names, App::IRC::Log, App::Raku::Log, uniname-words, IRC::Log, IRC::Log::Textual, IRC::Log::Colabti, IRC::Channel::Log, eigenstates, Array::Sorted::Util by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Scientist by Lance Wicks.
- Net::Ethereum, Node::Ethereum::Keccak256::Native by Konstantin Narkhov.
- SantaClaus::Utils, Abbreviations, Date::Names, DateTime::US, Modf by Tom Browder.
- App::Mi6 by Shoichi Kaji.
- Test::Differences, File::Temp, Net::DNS, Email::MIME, LogP6::Writer::StackDriver, DBIish by Rod Taylor.
- AI::FANN by JJ Atria.
- PDF::Content by David Warring.
Wow, quite the Weekly to make. And quite a lot to read and take in this week as well! Hope this won’t affect productivity too much :-). And unvaryingly it can’t be said often enough: stay healthy and stay safe. See you next week for more Rakudo news!