This week the Raku Community on Reddit makes it to main article on the Rakudo Weekly News. In the roughly two years since the rename, the number of subscribers made it to a 1000! Which does not really reach the number of subscribers on the previous reddit just yet, but on the other hand that had been in use for almost 9 years! And to all new Rakoons: welcome to the Raku Programming Language.
Jonathan Worthington reports on the completion of the grant for the new Raku dispatch mechanism (/r/rakulang comments) and submitted a grant proposal for building optimizations upon the new Raku dispatch mechanism. Check them out and leave any comments you may have!
That time of the year is coming!
Only a few weeks to go, and it’s Advent Calendar time again! Make sure you get a slot in this year’s Advent Calendar for the Raku Programming Language, by adding your blog post proposal to the preliminary list of authors and articles!
Alexey Melezhik had two announcements about the My Butterflies – Friendly Software Reviews Network: Sticky releases and a weekly Raku update feature.
Weekly Challenge #137 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Improve documentation of the
- Migrate special return to callstack and simplify return handling
- Another attempt at jitting some not so common ops that are still seen bailing in a spesh log
- Dispatcher replace arg syscall (MoarVM)
- Eliminate hllbool/boot-boolify-boxed-int pairs in spesh
- Dispatcher replace arg syscall (NQP)
- [JVM] Deal with invalid input in
- Add a
dispatcher-replace-argin some dispatchers
- Add a
- Add a
- Add a
- Add a
- Daniel Green worked on JITting more ops, fixed an issue with the primality of negative numbers and fixed
Buf.gistwhen parameterized with an unsized type.
- Stefan Seifert fixed an issue when a frame had more than 8192 locals and fixed unnecessary boxing of native return types.
- Vadim Belman improved the error message when trying to assign to a
Nilvalue, and made sure you can not call
- Nick Logan fixed an issue that was causing unnecessary pre-compilation of modules.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen improved the performance of
Str.transon the MoarVM backend, and made sure the return value of
- Peter du Marchie van Voorthuysen removed a redundant
- And some smaller tweaks and fixes.
Questions about Raku
- Why is
our %dict is Map is exportan error? by Wim Vanderbauwhede.
- Fix the
msiinstaller by Ali.
- Questions on commercial Raku development by s_brady.
- Problems installing
GD::Rawon Windows by jddddddddddd.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Looking for authors! by JJ Merelo.
- Share your experience! by Alexey Melezhik.
- Feedback for grant proposal by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Like to see it take off by Noah Scales.
- It was a no show by Noah Scales.
- Frustrating by Markus Holzer.
- It is the future by Noah Scales.
- Better to fix the language by Travis W. Fast.
- Taking longer to get to insights by Henk Poley.
- Not sure about a compelling argument by Gina Marie Maini.
- A big step up in terms of readability by A vampire is a neck-romancer.
- Interfacing with GtkLayerShell by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Parsing Sway window manager’s config by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Showing key bindings by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Implement in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Most appropriately by Jonathan Koren.
- In the name of by 佐藤 [退席中].
- A new speed record! by H.Merijn Brand.
- Trying to make awesome errors by Claudio Ramirez.
- No-one cared anymore by masukomi hates bigots.
- Automatic reminders by Jonathan Stowe.
- Not wanting to use
awkby Joan Ortega.
- Best unicode support by Fake “Unicode.”.
- Beautiful algorithm by Julia.
- Setting an “expected” message by Jonathan Stowe.
- Lightspeed by nil2.
DBIishOracle fixes by Jonathan Stowe.
- How to install a new version with rakubrew by Julia.
- Rewriting the Linux Kernel by Brendan Bouffler.
- Already by Стэн Кави.
- Bidis in source code by Jonathan Stowe.
- #137.1 in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- Primitive benchmark comparison (parsing LDIF) by Norman Gaywood.
- Rakudo-Star 2021.10 (Windows MSI and Linux RSTAR) packages by notna.
- A nice touch by Sean McAfee.
- How do I turn a real into and array of Integers? by ToddAndMargo.
Comments about Raku
- On chatting with Rakoons by Ralph Mellor.
- On Sway::Config by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- On origin stories by Daniel Sockwell.
subsetfeature by riffraff.
- Being a whacky language by gavinray.
- On sorting by Markus Holzer.
- On operator precedence by zokier.
New Raku modules
- Geo::Location “Provides location data for astronomical and other programs” by Tom Browder.
- GtkLayerShell “Interface with the Gtk Layer Shell” by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Sway::Config “Parsing Sway window manager’s config” by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Sway::PreviewKeys “Show preview windows for Sway modes’ key bindings” by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Data::Generators “Generating random strings, words, pet names, vectors, and (tabular) datasets” by Anton Antonov.
- Ecosystem::Archive “Interface to the Raku Ecosystem Archive” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Terminal::ANSIParser “ANSI/VT stream parser” by Geoffrey Broadwell.
Updated Raku Modules
- PatternMatching by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Math::Libgsl::Constants, Math::Libgsl::Eigensystem, Math::Libgsl::RandomDistributionzef by Fernando Santagata.
- App::IRC::Log, App::Raku::Log, IRC::Channel::Log, IRC::Log, IRC::Log::Colabti, IRC::Log::Textual, paths by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- OpenSSL by Nick Logan.
- DateTime::US by Tom Browder.
- CSS, LibXML by David Warring.
- Gnome::Gio, Gnome::Gtk3 by Marcel Timmerman.
- Terminal::UI by Brian Duggan.
- zef by Nick Logan.
- Text::CSV by H.Merijn Brand.
- Data::Reshapers, Lingua::NumericWordForms by Anton Antonov.
- Physics::Measure, Physics::Error, Physics::Unit by Steve Roe.
- Net::Ethereum by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Async::Command, MessageStream, POSIX::getaddrinfo, KHPH by Mark Devine.
Wow, so much new stuff to look at and/or try out! And a new record for the test-t benchmark! Another good week. Please don’t forget to think about the Raku Advent posts coming up. Less than a month to go now until the first one! See you next week for more Rakudo news.