Daniel Sockwell investigated the powers of smart matching in the Raku® Programming Language in two blog posts Let’s try some pattern matching (/r/rakulang comments) and Further thoughts on Raku pattern matching (/r/rakulang comments). Both the blog posts and the comments are food for thought!
Jonathan Worthington reports on the finalization of the Raku Dispatch and Compiler Improvements Grant, and Patrick Böker reports on the Raku CI Grant.
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer shows an approach to re-exporting functions under a different name in Double Inspiration.
Weekly Challenge #134 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Remove a spesh optimization if it has too many deopts (rebased after
- Add guard for container descriptor
- [JVM] Unbreak build after merge of
- Geoffrey Broadwell investigated the feasibility of creating a JIT for the AArch64 architecture, and added the result to the MoarVM documentation.
- Jonathan Worthington added [mono|poly|mega]morphic site counts to the MoarVM profiler and fixed issues with the debug server.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made sure that
$*PERLis only deprecated on future language levels of the Raku® Programming Language.
- And some other smaller tweaks and fixes.
Questions about Raku
- Why doesn’t this work as I naively expect it to? (Sets of lists) by zeekar.
- Changing the target of a
wheneverblock from the inside by Daniel Sockwell.
- What’s the position/name of Raku’s ‘grammar’ in parsing technology? by complyue.
- Bootstrapping Raku without nqp, instead with a minimum 6model interpreter? by complyue.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Great work! by JJ Merelo.
- Feeling sad by Steve Pollei.
- Giving it more power and more lift by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Just no comparison by Simon Proctor.
- Let others know about Raku by Alexey Melezhik.
- SORRY! by Timo Paulssen.
- Spent so much time by Gro-Tsen.
- Doing stuff on AWS by Jonathan Stowe.
- Only real challenger by Marc Chantreux.
- Soon, big improvement by dominix.
- #134.1 in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Rules updated a little bit by Alexey Melezhik.
Comments about Raku
- Cool Swift references by Matthew “Stephen” Stuckwisch.
- Too strongy asserted? by Ralph Mellor.
reducehyperable by moon-chilled.
- With apologies for length and lateness by Ralph Mellor.
- A continuation based execution engine by complyue.
- Good impression by mfiano.
New Raku modules
- paths “a fast recursive file finder” by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- uniname-words “look for words in unicode character names” by Eizabeth Mattijsen.
Updated Raku Modules
- Curlie by Brian Duggan.
- Red by Fernando Correa de Oliveira.
- Curry by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- IP::Addr, AttrX::Mooish, Async::Workers, Concurrent::PChannel, Test::Async, OO::Plugin by Vadim Belman.
- Net::Ethereum by Konstantin Narkhov.
- PDF::Content, PDF::Font::Loader, PDF::Lite, PDF::Class, HTML::Canvas::To::PDF by David Warring.
- Kivuli by Jonathan Stowe.
- zef by Nick Logan, Tony O’Dell.
On time this week, but a bit smaller on account of it only covering 5 days. With less than 2 weeks to go until the 2021.10 Rakudo™ Compiler release that would make the new-disp work go mainstream. So, check in again next week for more news about the Raku® Programming Language in these exciting times!