The Rakudo Core Developer team (more specifically Jonathan Worthington, Stefan Seifert, Daniel Green, Jan-Olof Hendig, Nicholas Clark and Oleksandr Kyriukhin) have reached a milestone on the new-disp branch: all 117K+ spectests are now passing! Focus for the coming week is now on fixing module breakage in the ecosystem (some of which is caused by them being naughty referring to internal features that have been refactored), and improving the performance of Rakudo. Great to see such advances!
Daniel Sockwell, member of the Raku Steering Council, has been accepted as a board member of Yet Another Society, known to most of you as “The Perl Foundation”. In a blog post, they explain the situation around the “Raku Foundation”, dba’s (aka Doing Business As) and the developments around the Raku Trademark (/r/rakulang, Twitter comments).
The Raku Solution
Conor Hoekstra has made a follow-up video about the solution of a single problem in 16 different programming languages in 1 Problem, 5 Programming Languages. The Raku Programming Language is again one of them.
On the mini-conference on 18 November 2021, organised by Thibault Duponchelle, it appears that JJ Merelo and JJ Atria will be giving presentations.
Flavio Poletti continued their quest into Raku land with two blog posts about features of the Raku Programming Language this week:
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer was triggered by the use of placeholder variables in roast: Calling by name (/r/rakulang comments).
Weekly Challenge #129 is available for your perusal.
- Fix escaping of
- Disallow creating
Uniwith out-of-range codepoints
- Remove mention of the Perl community
- Elizabeth Mattijsen micro-optimized
Promise.new, and made
sprintfalways show the format being used when an error occurs in
- Daniel Sockwell tuned the
- Ben Davies optimized the use of the internal concretization table.
Questions about Raku
- Raku array will not
- Lookaround regex and character consumption by Daniel Sockwell.
zipoperator & space by Jan Bodnar.
- Separating operator definitions for a class to other files and using them by Hanselmann.
- Should sigilless “variables” with
Numerictype constraints be re-bindable? by Daniel Sockwell.
- How can Raku mixins work with operator overloading? by Steve Roe.
.then-map? by Jonathan Stowe.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- 100K pageviews in 6 months by Mark Gardner.
- #128.2 in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Reading and learning by Alvaro Tejado Galindo.
- An RPM to play with by Jonathan Stowe.
- Learning a nascent protest language by KMFT ⬡.
- That’s why we tag #rakulang by Brian Wisti.
Comments about Raku
- Better have a single dependency by Steve Roe/.
- Woot! by bobthecimmerian.
- An excellent introduction from the IntelliJ Platform Plugin SDK.
- Interesting discussion by Flavio Poletti.
- What’s new about it? by tekknolagi.
Updated Raku Modules
- Algorithm::SpiralMatrix by Michal Jurosz.
- URI, CSS::Properties by David Warring.
- App::IRC::Log by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Text::CSV by H.Merijn Brand.
- JSON::Marshal by Jonathan Stowe.
- LZW::Revolunet by Konstantin Narkhov.
- Data::Dump by Tony O’Dell.
The new-disp branch is now stable enough for yours truly to develop on. If you have a rakudo checkout, run
git pull; perl Configure.pl --force-rebuild --gen-moar=new-disp --gen-nqp=new-disp --make-install) and you should be set also. Exciting times! But please also stay vigilant, stay safe, stay healthy. Next week will bring you another dose of news about the Raku Programming Language to keep you occupied!