Oleksandr Kyriukhin has done it again: creating the 2021.08 Rakudo Compiler Release. Shortly thereafter, Claudio Ramirez created the associated Linux packages. And JJ Merelo created the associated Alpine Docker image, also for testing with Raku. This release is mostly about fixes of problems and stability improvements: hopefully the next release will have all of the exciting new-disp improvements!
Mark Gardner published a blog about re-imagining a Perl script in Raku (using Inline::Perl5) called: Perl & Raku: Best frenemies (/r/perl comments). It also got published on DZone.
Thibault Duponchelle has translated and updated an earlier blog about the Raku Programming Language in French and split it into two, still pretty large, blog posts depending on your interest:
- Raku: features, community and main interpreter/VM
- Raku: other implementations, archeology and glorious details (/r/rakulang comments)
Alexey Melezhik blogged twice this week:
- Oh my Tomtit – alternative to oh my zsh written on Raku (/r/rakulang comments)
- Fixing github URLs from https to ssh by awesome Sparrow plugin
Flavio Poletti only wrote one blog post this week: Bind and alias. Perhaps because they were also the Champion of the Month in the Weekly Challenge?
Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer was inspired by a comment on Discord: Most fancy, about using the MOP to register type objects as they are being created.
This week saw the publication of two grant reports:
- RakuAST Grant for June 2021 by Jonathan Worthington.
- Raku CI Bot for July 2021 by Patrick Böker.
In related Foundation news, Daniel Sockwell has volunteered for a position on the Foundation Board, to be decided on the 27th of August (/r/rakulang comments).
Weekly Challenge #127 is available for your perusal.
New Pull Requests
- Fix file truncate and extrapolation errors in stub doc generation
- Add metaclass method examples and description
- [WIP] Work on 6.e
- Don’t lose concurrent modifications to
- Elizabeth Mattijsen made checking for Windows specific functionality faster in some core functionality, removing the need to start the
ThreadPool‘s supervisor thread.
- Daniel Green fixed a race condition that fixed a long-standing test flapper.
Just about everybody on the core enjoying vacation and/or working on the new-disp branch.
Questions about Raku
- Given two objects, can you find the nearest common ancestor? by Joseph Brenner.
- Symbols Created in Stash at Runtime Not Available in
- How can I get more information out of a failing
subparse? by Wim Vanderbauwhede.
- Brace Delimiters with
Meanwhile on Twitter
Test::Run– testing output of processes by Ciavash.
- Learned this lesson by Mark Gardner.
- Going a little meta by Mark Gardner.
- Super readable by Silas Tittes.
- What’s it like to port? by Mark Gardner.
- How can this be? by esther the e-girl.
- It’s pythonic by Kenji.
- No one wanted or needed by Chris Sullo.
- Name for Tensorflow 3 by un1crom.
- Not backwards compatible by たかけん.
- Programming symbology, decrypted by Sy Brand.
- So many hoops by sehe.
- Always on time by JJ Merelo.
- Raku modules on yaml.org by JJ Merelo.
- Creepy by D-Hori.
- A different language by alone.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
- Intermixed types and resulting types by Joseph Brenner.
- Pairs of separators from a string by Marc Chantreux.
^mro_unhiddenby Joseph Brenner.
Comments about Raku
- It’s all sugar by Ralph Mellor.
- Intentional compatibility breaking by slownews45.
- Fixed in Raku by eyespoplikeamosquito.
- Also fixed in Raku by eyespoplikeamosquito.
- Kebab-case and infix subtraction by darrenf.
New Raku Modules
- Cro::HTTP::BodySerializerJSONClass A Cro::HTTP::BodySerializer that knows about JSON::Class objects by Jonathan Stowe.
- GNU::Time Provides an easy interface to the GNU ‘time’ command by Tom Browder.
Updated Raku Modules
- colomon::App::TagTools by Solomon Foster.
- ASN::BER, ASN::META by Oleksandr Kyriukhin.
- Sparrow6, Tomtit by Alexey Melezhik.
- taurus by Andinus.
- CSS::Grammar, CSS::Module, CSS::Module::CSS3::Selectors, CSS::Properties, CSS::Specification, LibXML by David Warring.
- App::IRC::Log, IRC::Channel::Log, IRC::Log, IRC::Log::Colabti, IRC::Log::Textual by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Text::CSV by H.Merijn Brand (Tux).
- Lumberjack::Config::JSON, Ujumla by Jonathan Stowe.
- App::Lorea, Game::Entities, HTTP::Tiny, Timer::Stopwatch by José Joaquín Atria.
- zef by Nick Logan, Tony O’Dell.
- Test::Run by Siavash Askari Nasr.
- Qt::QtWidgets by Yves Guillemot.
- Term::Choose, Term::Choose::Util, Term::TablePrint by Matthäus Kiem.
- IO::Blob by moznion.
- Physics::Measure by Steve Roe.
Vacation time without emotional churn this time. Which is a good thing. See you all next week, hopefully with a little more news and still in good health!