Patrick Spek reports on behalf of the Raku Steering Council about the move of all Raku-related IRC channels from Freenode to Libera.chat, after most of the Freenode volunteers have left after what has been considered a hostile takeover. So if you want to chat with Rakoons, use the irc.libera.chat IRC servers from now on! The following channels have now effectively moved: #raku, #raku-dev, #moarvm, #cro, #mugs, #red and #raku-gamedev. And there is now also #raku-steering-council channel for direct communication with the Raku Steering Council.
Journaling in Joplin
Andrew Shitov provided an update on the online Raku Conference to be held on 7 August 2021: already more than 50 registrations!. Please don’t forget to register if you plan to attend (/r/rakulang comments). In any case, your T-shirt is virtually ready!
Rakudo Compiler Release
Alexander Kiryuhin announced the Rakudo 2021.05 Compiler release. A small release, with mostly stability fixes and performance fixes on the VM side, as well as cross-platforming fixes. Packages and binary releases to become available soon.
Jonathan Worthington not only has been busy developing, they have also been busy reporting:
Since the latter grant is about to run out, Jonathan also submitted a Grant Request for Raku Dispatch and Compiler Improvements. Please leave comments you may have with the Grant Request!
- Quell compiler warnings on Linux with gcc
- Partially implement
- Provide a method returning a real
DateTime.posixreturn a fractional value in 6.e
- Make 6.e
PseudoStasha child of 6.c
Please check them out and leave any comments that you may have!
- Nicholas Clark reorganised some MoarVM internals that should allow C-compilers to better optimize MoarVM.
- Daniel Green made CI jobs be more verbose should a segfault occur during testing, and fixed getting a file’s modification time on the JVM backend when running on Windows.
- After many weeks of chasing a very hard to reproduce segfault on highly threaded code, Stefan Seifert found it to be a combination of C-compilers re-ordering code, causing reads to be done before a write had occurred. Once that was discovered, the fix was easy: tell the compiler not to do that!
- Tom Browder fixed some compiler warnings on GNU builds.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen fixed an issue with shaped array copying, with
substr-rwon an allomorph, and made
DateTime.posixabout 12x as fast.
- Moon-chilled added support for ∊ and ∍ as aliases for ∈ and ∋ (yes, apparently Unicode has small versions for ∈ and ∋).
- And some smaller fixes.
Meanwhile, on the RakuAST branch, Jonathan Worthington has been busy the past two weeks implementing RakuAST nodes for:
- Regex backslash sequences
- Unicode property matches in regexes, such as
- Regex internal modifiers
- Character classes in regexes
- Regex variable interpolation
All exciting stuff!
Questions about Raku
- Is it possible to chain metaoperators to calculate the product-sum of two lists? by Zaid.
CONTROLphasers from a trait by Daniel Sockwell.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Exciting to attend by Mark Gardner.
- RakuAST grant report by Moritz Lenz.
- #113.2 in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
- Ungolfed version by Markus Holzer.
- Looking for a new language and a nice community by D Ruth Holloway.
- A great tool to handle this safely by [𝚘𝚋𝚓𝚎𝚌𝚝 𝙾𝚋𝚓𝚎𝚌𝚝].
- Geo3x3 implementation by 福野泰介.
- Not encouraging dangerous techniques by Steven Huwig.
- Enjoy reading one-liners by Brian Wisti.
- The real gem by Markus Holzer.
- Not so bad at all by Ali.
- Not spreading by Social Justice Cleric.
- New talks submitted by The Raku Conference.
- Against boredom by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Not a camel by キャサリン.
- Too bad it didn’t catch by devfrustrado.
- No longer? by キャサリン.
- Failed to deliver by 🇨🇦WhatsMyPot🌲🌱🌿.
- A lot of justification by Brian Wisti.
- No messing with getopt by Brian Wisti.
- Looks really nice by Newres Al Haider.
- Not so close by Liam Proven.
- Wondering what it was by conf@UEC.
- Running Raku in Latex by 黒木玄 Gen Kuroki.
- Checking for anagrams by Suman Khanal.
- 114.2 in a tweet by Markus Holzer.
Meanwhile on the mailing list
File::Findusing a junction with exclude by Joseph Brenner.
- In regexes with
:P5compatibility turned-on, do embedded modifierswork? by Joseph Brenner.
Comments about Raku
- Boring and important and sexy and a huge problem by Ralph Mellor.
- A great asset by Steve Roe.
- Phrase based by notagoodidea.
- Out of the box for numbers by Ralph Mellor.
- Making a Raku solution? by dkechag.
New Raku Modules
Note: these also include new and updated modules from the zef ecosystem of the past 4 weeks. Thanks to Wenzel P.P. Peppmeyer for making that a lot easier for yours truly. Also note that the links now point to a new ecosystem site raku.land by James Raspass.
- CBOR::Simple, TinyFloats, Cro::CBOR by Geoffrey Broadwell.
- Config::BINDish by Vadim Belman.
- IRC::Log by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Archive::Tar::PP by Tony O’Dell.
Updated Raku Modules
- Test::Async by Vadim Belman.
- TOML, fez by Tony O’Dell.
- MUGS, MUGS::UI::WebSimple, MUGS::UI::TUI, MUGS::UI::CLI, MUGS::Games, MUGS::Core by Geoffrey Broadwell.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- IRC::Channel::Log, IRC::Log::Colabti by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- CSS::Stylesheet, CSS, CSS::TagSet by David Warring.
- Cro::OpenAPI::RoutesFromDefinition by Jonathan Worthington.
- Hematite by André Brás.
- DateTime::Posix by Tom Browder.
- Subsets::Common, Net::IP::Parse by Brad Clawsie.
- License::SPDX by Jonathan Stowe.
- Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- p6doc by Raku Community.
- Algorithm::LibSVM by Itsuki Toyota.
A lot of stuff happening affecting the Raku Community in the past week. Fortunately, the moving of the IRC channels has almost been completed already: there’s just the matter of how to deal with the transition period. It was good to catch up on a lot of things in this week’s Rakudo Weekly News. See you next week! All in good health!