Arne Sommer has blogged about a recent breaking change with regards to reblessing objects: Raku and the (Re)blessed Child and Exploring Rebless with Raku. In it, they express frustration with working code suddenly not working anymore. As always, there are two sides to the story, and Arne shows them both.
Call for Grant Proposals
The Perl Foundation has sent out a belated Call for Grant Proposals. So if you have an idea for a Raku project that you would like to see funded, this is the moment to submit your proposal!
Jonathan Worthington has started a problem-solving issue about how exporting values in Raku works, and how it has shortcomings, specifically with regards to dependency issues and identifying the source of generated subs/methods. Please leave your ideas / comments if you think you should!
Sliding through preparations
Andrew Shitov has published a slideshow of their preparations for PerlCon 2019 in Riga. It brings back good memories.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen changed the extension of internal helper scripts to
.rakuand some more references in comments and documentation.
The Raku entries for Challenge #47:
- Roman Number Calculater and Gapful Numbers by Luca Ferrari.
- The Cryptic Raku Room by Arne Sommer.
- Roman Calculator and Gapful Numbers by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Weekly Challenge #47 by Javier Luque
- Gapful Numbers by Ryan C. Thompson.
Challenge #48 is up for your perusal!
- Patrick Böker has implemented a
--git-cache-diroption in the configuration process, allowing the given path to act as a git repository cache.
- Daniel Green fixed a recently introduced issue with
nqp::rand_I()not being influenced by
- Jonathan Worthington fixed a problem with uninlining that would sometimes cause a segfault, the
'chain'association of custom operators, and the use of placeholder parameters with
- Elizabeth Mattijsen updated the
dyncallsubmodule. They also added support for the
:ignoremarknamed parameters for the
containsfunctions. They also made the default stringification of
Dateobjects 250x as fast, and
DateTimeobjects 90x as fast.
- Christian Bartolomäus fixed the build errors on the JVM backend caused by the work of Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Stefan Seifert fixed a concurrency issue with (re-)checking a precomp file’s dependencies, which unfortunately clashed with work that Patrick Böker was doing.
- Vadim Belman made sure that any errors that occur when building Rakudo will produce a full stacktrace.
- And many smaller fixes and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Sure ain’t Raku by Cow1337killr.
- I can call any method on Nil and this feels wrong by jja.
- Unsinking sunk calls via CALL-ME by JJ Merelo.
- Impossible to put a map in sink context by JJ Merelo.
- Split on Split overlap by jakar.
- Concurrent loops finishing on their own? by JJ Merelo.
- Recent benchmark? by whereistimbo.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Got it! by エヌユル.
- Type conversion, huh? by エヌユル.
- Golfed to 59 by Herbert Bollermann.
- Better known by Emanuel.
- Shared the trick by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Zap a list of Callables by Simon Proctor.
- Under the hood? Sven Wilhelm.
- Baby! by Pouring spices on the fire.
- Want to get started? by びしょ～じょ.
- Last ten years? by Roberto Santos X 2.
- Whatever it is called by Vertigo.
- Public tutorial? by 八雲アナグラ.
- CFP, Final Round! by The Perl and Raku Conference.
- A Great Book! by joan ortega.
- Being renamed? by MoreCodes.
- If you miss Perl by B1ff B1ff.
- Alpine Linux, please? by Jonathan Stowe.
- Raku, the programming language by Emanuel.
- In need of Raku topics by The Perl and Raku Conference.
- Overriding STDOUT by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Having a Catalyst? by Jack Merlot * 71 Sextillion Dollars.
- Turned out to be by yossoon.
- Awesome! by Simone Basso.
- Several years! by Jonathan Stowe.
- What is it? by Naruaki TOMA 温泉旅行….
- Less brute force by Simon Proctor.
- Impossible to catch up by Usagi Ito 👩💻 High-tech Hermit 🧙♀️.
- Easy to understand by エヌユ.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Substr behaviour with CRLF by David Santiago.
- Question about Blob and Buf by David Santiago.
- Metamethods: WHERE by Aureliano Guedes.
Comments about Raku
This week only by Ralph Mellor:
- One Day Soon.
- On Soft Typing.
- Notes on Lunar.
- A Braid of Languages.
- Exactly 4.25.
- Lesser Known Language.
- No Numerical Tower.
- Pattern Matching Statements.
New Raku Modules
- Date::Calendar::Julian by Jean Forget.
- Text::Center by Steve Schulze.
- Math::Libgsl::BLAS by Fernando Santagata.
Updated Raku Modules
- Gnome::Gtk3, Gnome::GObject by Marcel Timmerman.
- Getopt::Long by Leon Timmermans.
- Tomty, Sparrow6 by Alexey Melehzik.
- Math::Libgsl::Matrix, Archive::Libvarchive::Raw by Fernando Santagata.
- Text::Utils, Math::Trig by Tom Browder.
- Uzu by Sam Morrison.
- Sys::Lastlog by Jonathan Stowe.
- Object::Trampoline, Object::Delayed by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
A lot of work on the core this week, and a nice collection of new and updated modules. All in a week’s work for the Raku Programming Language. Be sure to check in again next week for more!