Wenzel P. P. Peppmeyer has written not one, not two, not three, but four blogs in the past two weeks, each addressing some feature or quirk of the Raku Programming Language.
- The Mysterious Infix (/r/rakulang comments)
- Returning the right amount
- Watching new arrivals
- Ungolden silence (/r/rakulang comments)
Vadim Belman tells us about the project they’ve been working on for the past months: Vikna, a console User Interface framework, which is also the subject of a presentation at the Conference in the Cloud (/r/rakulang comments).
Brian Wisti explains the developments surrounding the name change of RakudoBrew to Rakubrew, how they initially avoided RakudoBrew for reasons now lost in time. And yes, Jeff Goff is still missed a lot.
Have an idea for a cool project using Raku, but do not have the funds to do it? Then perhaps it is time to submit a grant proposal!
RakuDist at raku.org
The RakuDist project by Alexey Melezhik is now running on the Raku Community infrastructure! If you are a Raku module author, it is now very simple to have your module tested with just about any Raku compiler version. A great tool!
Writing blogs with pod6
Aliaksandr Zahatski has written a blog post about what you need to do to publish a blog written in pod6 using Gatsby and Netlify.
- andreoss changed all of the internal references of Perl 6 to Raku in the JVM backend specific code.
- Suman Khanal has changed many, many references in the internal documentation of NQP and Rakudo.
These are entries for Challenge #61 that have Raku solutions:
- Weekly Challenge #61 by Luca Ferrari.
- The IPv4 Product, Raku Edition by Arne Sommer.
- Max Subarray Product and IP Address Partition by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Weekly Challenge #61 by Javier Luque.
- Weekly Challenge #61 by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Weekly Challenge #61 by Shahed Nooshmand.
- Produce Market Protocols by Colin Crain.
- IPv4 Partition by Donald Hunter.
And these are entries for Challenge #62 that have Raku solutions:
- Weekly Challenge #62 by Luca Ferrari.
- The Email Queen with Raku by Arne Sommer.
- Sort Email Addresses by Laurent Rosenfeld.
- Weekly Challenge #62 by Javier Luque.
- Weekly Challenge #62 by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Weekly Challenge #62 by Shahed Nooshmand.
- The Spacequeen’s Sordid Emails by Colin Crain.
Challenge #63 is up for your perusal!
- Patrick Böker fixed various issues with the Rakudo build on Windows and set up AzureCI test setup for MoarVM, nqp and Rakudo.
- Tim Smith fixed an issue with negative width arguments with
sprintfand added support for the
:chompnamed parameter to
- Christian Bartolomäus and Ben Davies fixed various issues on the JVM backend.
- Elizabeth Mattijsen sped up various aspects of
IO::Pathand added a
RAKU_REPL_OUTPUT_METHODenvironment variable to control stringification in the
- Sylvain Colinet fixed the
is()test sub so that it can take
Bufs taking the
.rakumethod for comparison.
- Tom Browder worked on Damian Conway‘s notes with regards to declarators in
- Will Coleda converted the
INSTALL.txtfile to an
INSTALL.mdfor better rendering.
- Jonathan Worthington and Timo Paulssen worked on the new dispatch implementation (aka the Great Dispatcher Overhaul).
- And quite a number of other fixes, optimisations, and improvements.
Questions about Raku
- Split string to fixed length chunks and write in separate line by Suman Khanal.
- Where is the documentation of the Unicode characters i.e.
»by Konrad Eisele.
- Determine if a variable is set by user0721090601.
- Why does Rakudo
Nilfor a typed and assigned scalar? by Ross Attrill.
Seqis already in use/consumed (nested
take) by Holli.
- Trying out Hyper Operators by skar123.
- Grammar: use named regex without consuming matching string by user13195651.
- Put named capture from regex in
Subsetinto a variable in the signature by Holli.
- How can you create a combination scope/trait declarator? by JJ Merelo.
.race()example not working by user2944647.
- Overriding attribute accessor with
Proxyby Khalid Elboray.
- Overloading a package funcion to detect no arguments have been used by Antonio Gamiz Delgado.
- What’s the real difference between a token and a
rule? by Electric Coffee.
- How do I get the line number of a pattern match? by s-ro_mojosa.
Meanwhile on Twitter
- Alt-Entering into double quotes by Jonathan Worthington.
- Trans with a hash by Suman Khanal.
- Burning forever by Brian Wisti.
- Legacy handcuffs by Jack Merlot.
- RakuDist returning by Alexey Melezhik.
- About Python? by Jeroen Baten.
- Daily Cases constant by Andrew Shitov.
- Still doing… by めたつか.
- Flourishing! by Moritz Lenz.
- Some kind of superhuman? by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Much beautiful by Alex Felici.
- Just like any method by Khalid Elboray.
- Replacing URL parameters by Khalid Elboray.
- Like the spokesbug by nil2.
- On testing scripts by JJ Merelo.
- More on testing scripts by JJ Merelo.
- CRUD with
Cro::HTTPby Khalid Elboray.
- No weekly by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Vikna covered by The Perl Shop.
- Rakudist live again by Alexey Melezhik.
- In one click! by Alexey Melezhik.
- Managed to release by Andy Rennard.
- Coming for 20 years now by Trix Farrar.
Physics::Unitedge by The Perl and Raku Conference.
- Raku has
Rationals by Dan Kogai.
- Improving the perception by The Perl and Raku Conference.
- Readable files by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Another one-liner by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Tweaking your own clone by Khalid Elboray.
- As it if was written by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Learned a lot by Samuel Chase.
- Missed it by Mohammad S Anwar.
- Wauw, wauw, wauw! by Arjan Widlak.
- A virtual lightning talk by The Perl and Raku Conference.
- More fun by Joaquin Ferrero.
- Learning many languages by 嘟嘟噜.
Meanwhile on perl6-users
- Help with grammar by David Santiago.
- Regexps using
$by Joseph Brenner.
- Flycheck-raku module for
MELPAby Xin Cheng.
Comments about Raku
- Surprised by consistency by Brad Gilbert.
- Shame if no one copied by Brad Gilbert.
- Times it is faster by Brad Gilbert.
- Learn new paradigms by zubenel0.
- Happening with Raku by Ralph Mellor.
- Mostly not used by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- Coroutines on top of scoped continuations by Ralph Mellor.
- More appropriate for Raku by 1nickt.
- Enticing by johnfrazer783.
- A full parser by ben509.
Supplycovers this use case by Ralph Mellor.
/xshould be the default by riffraff.
- On member syntax by Ralph Mellor.
- On malleability buy Ralph Mellor.
- Decided to rename by vasco.
- Appropriate features by Ralph Mellor.
- Sad it took so long by jhoechtl.
- On combining grammars by Ralph Mellor.
- And Raku, and Haskell by mfontani.
- An inspiration? by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
- No one is forced by mirchibajji.
- Other by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
New Raku Modules
- Test::Script by JJ Merelo.
- Radamsa by Dave Lewis.
- Vikna by Vadim Belman.
- Spreadsheet::XLSX by Jonathan Worthington.
- Text::Slugify by Khalid Elborey.
- Native::Compile by Curt Tilmes.
- SDL2-ttf by Steve Schulze.
- Set::Equality by Elizabeth Mattijsen.
Updated Raku Modules
- Shelve6 by Robert Lemmen.
- Test::Async by Vadim Belman.
- Lumberjack, FastCGI::NativeCall by Jonathan Stowe.
- Gnome::N, Gnome::GObject, Gnome::Gtk3, MongoDB by Marcel Timmerman.
- Term::Choose by Matthäus Kiem.
- LibXML, Font::FreeType by David Warring.
- Sparrowdo, Sparrow6 by Alexey Melezhik.
- Log, Log::Colored, Log::Simple, Log::JSON by Patrick Spek.
- Console::Blackjack by Greg Donald.
- Email::Mime by Rod Taylor.
Sorry to have been away for a week, but last Monday simply was not a good day for yours truly to be writing a Rakudo Weekly News. The past 2 weeks have brought a very nice batch of new and updated modules, blog posts and very nice additions / speedups. Keep spreading the word about Raku! And see you in health and good spirits next week!